⤷ twenty-four

༄ chapter twenty four

chapter twenty four

-ˋˏ DARLING, DEAREST, DEAD ˎˊ-

THE bar scene had never been something Vera relished in any sense of the word. She often found them to be too loud, too crowded, and too full of music that practically made her ears bleed. This was still the case after almost a decade of dealing with Kit's strange obsession with going to bars any chance he got, and it was no different on the day that she met him and Uhura at a nearby bar. Within minutes, her ears were ringing and her head was throbbing from the noise, and yet she carried on, tucked within a darkened corner of the bar and watching Uhura and Kit dance from afar. 

A small smile etched itself across her rose-painted lips, her dress tightly hugging her sides because of Uhura's insistence that she wear something 'flattering' out in case she were to run into any 'strapping' young men to mingle with, though for some reason the young woman just couldn't bring herself to stare at anyone in that way, as if she were almost cheating; cheating on whom, though, she hadn't the slightest clue. 

Her eyes were dead-set on her friends as they help each other close, and Vera couldn't help but admit that her heart soared to new heights every time she imagined the future the two could have, their relationship growing quickly - almost alarmingly so - and yet so genuine that Vera found them rather charming. Though, at times, their love for each other was rough, as Uhura was a very argumentative person, Vera could tell that they cared for each other, and the couple's arguments often blew over quickly, as Kit rarely liked to fight. 

Her thoughts were interrupted when a man holding two glasses of Cardassian sunrise slid into the seat across from her, a smirk on his face as he eyed her. He slid the drink over to her, yelling over the music, "What's your name, sweetheart?" 

Vera pushed the glass away, having always been very cautious around strangers, especially men in bars as she yelled back, "None of your goddamn business, that's what it is." 

"Calm down, doll, I was only asking a simple question," The man began, holding out his hand for Vera to shake, which she did so hesitantly, "The names Tobias Hawthorne." Vera nodded, but didn't say anything, rather sighing and standing up, taking her own drink and heading out onto the dance floor, ignoring Hawthorne as he rather pathetically pleaded with her to come back. 

It took a few minutes to find Uhura and Kit, bodies pressed together tightly as they continued to dance, and Vera felt almost guilty for interrupting them as she tapped lightly on Kit's shoulder. "I think I'm going to leave, Kit, it's really not the best time for me to be here," She said when he turned to face her, Uhura doing the same as their dance was stopped.