⤷ four

༄ chapter four

༄ chapter four

-ˋˏ THE USS ENTERPRISE ˎˊ-

"OH, Vera, my darling," Verenia cooed as she took her youngest daughter into her arms, holding tightly to her. After the Chief Justice's dismissal, the court room doors had been flooded with Cadets, all eager and willing to risk their lives for the mission. Vera could recall a time when she, too, was so enthusiastic about the possibility of losing her life for Starfleet, but didn't let that influence her as she pushed through the crowd, Kit in tow, to find her mother. 

It had been almost three years since she had last seen her, and Vera could remember nothing but happy memories from her time as a child with Verenia, who was so much like herself they could almost be twins. She had known for a fact her entire life that she was her mother's secret favorite, as she was the one who was there for her when their father left, but being the youngest may have also helped her in that regard.

Finally pushing her away to arms length, Verenia looked at Vera fondly, the hoards of people doing nothing to push them apart. "So, what are you finally doing back on Earth, my angel?"

Looking around awkwardly, Vera noticed Kit, Cas, and Aera standing not too far away from them, Kit vividly telling the latter about their conquests through space, and what it all amounted to in front of the senior Starfleet members earlier that morning. "Um..."

"They were on trial for desertion, Mammie," Cas piped up matter-of-factly, earning a harsh slap on his arm from both Kit and Aera.

Verenia's eyes widened as she turned to her youngest child, her face very different than Chris' had been earlier; whereas Chris had nothing but disappointment for his son and goddaughter, Vera saw pride gleaming from her mother. Of course, she should have expected it, especially since Verenia did practically the same thing as her daughter in her youth, though she had come back much earlier, and received no repercussions, going on to be one of the greatest Captains of Starfleet. 

"Were you able to get out of it?" She asked, earning a coy smile and shrug from Vera as Kit looked away in an embarrassed nature, seemingly remembering the show he put on for his father.

Without a definite answer from her daughter, Verenia nodded, taking Vera by the shoulders and walking along with the rest of the crowd to Hanger One. "Well, even if you weren't, I'm sure I could sway the Seniors in some way."

Feeling another weight come over her shoulders, Vera looked up to see that Kit had joined them, slinging a casual arm around as if this had happened every day of his life. "I suppose we had better be going then, huh, V?"

"Going? Why would you have to go?" Verenia asked, her eyebrows, which showed the natural light brown of her hair, as opposed to the striking purple, furrowing in confusion. As a woman who got almost anything her heart desired her entire life, it wasn't much of a shock for Vera that her mother hadn't thought through the implications of Vera and Kit's crimes. While, at the moment, they weren't necessarily under arrest or anything of the sort, it was obvious that they wouldn't be welcomed on any ship with the Starfleet branding on it, at least from Vera's reasoning.