⤷ forty

༄ chapter forty

chapter forty

-ˋˏ JUST TWO KIDS; MAKE IT ˎˊ-

IT was another late night for Vera about a week after the battle with Khan and Marcus, well past the point where every other Starfleet official would be long gone and tucked up inside their houses, eating and resting with their families. Vera was readying herself to do the same, preparing to make a stop by Darcy and Leonard's home to pick Nath up before going back to her stuffy apartment. 

She planned to do the same she'd been doing for herself and her brother (whom she was attempting to take custody over from Cassius with the lawyer Darcy's help) every night since they landed: make a sub-par meal for dinner, introduce Nath to a couple Earth movies, and allow him to do whatever Vulcan studies or routines he needed to before tucking him in for bed while she worked further on her blueprints to repair the USS Enterprise to it's original state, if not better. It was a mundane routine, to be sure, and Vera felt guilty that the only time she spent with her new responsibility was for a few hours at the end of the day, but she knew that once she got full custody of him, Vera and Nath could live a good life together. 

With a sigh, Vera shoved the last of her papers into her bag, slinging the satchel over one shoulder and flicking off the light above her desk - her desk, of course, being one rusted and unsteady table in the corner of Hanger Seven. She looked around to make sure she hadn't missed anything, and when the Crynn girl was sure she hadn't, she pushed away from her work station and started across the darkened hanger, her PADD being the only light she had to keep from falling over her Sweetheart heels. 

Just as she exited the hanger and started along the sidewalk to the McCoy townhouse, Vera heard a voice stopping her, one she'd grown oh-so-familiar with in the past year: "Commander Crynn." 

Smiling to herself, a blush unintentionally forming across her cheeks, she spun around to greet the man back, "Commander Spock." There he stood, his hands clasped behind his back, in front of an inactive water fountain in the square in front of Building A. Spock was wearing his Officer's uniform, a sleek grey across his chest and an identically-colored cap clutched in his fist. "What brings you out here at such a late hour?" She questioned conversationally, sauntering towards the First Officer. 

"I just concluded a meeting regarding the fate of Khan and the truth regarding Admiral Marcus' plans for war between the Federation and Klingons," he replied dutifully, walking up beside her when she nodded, beckoning him to her as she began the trek to the McCoy's home, "And yourself?" 

"Another late night with the Enterprise plans, I suppose." Vera shrugged. "I'm on my way to Darcey and Leo's to pick up Nath right now. Would you like to join us for dinner? I plan on making toasted cheese and tomato soup; it's nothing fancy, but it works. Oh, we're also watching that twentieth-century movie...Princess Bride, I believe it's called. I'm not sure how Nath will respond to another 'kissing film', as he calls it, but I'm sure he'll get something out of it. It was one of my favorites as a child, I used to watch it all the time with...with Mum-"