⤷ thirty-six

༄ chapter thirty six

chapter thirty six

-ˋˏ LET THEM CLASH ˎˊ-

VERA and Spock shared a look once Kirk rounded the corner, one of both amusement and deep, deep embarrassment. She'd known for quite some time that her feelings for the emotionless Half-Vulcan were complex, and it didn't take her long to surmise growing fondness for him. 

But, knowing he didn't feel the same, and the flush of green painting his face was purely out of the thought of how unprofessional their friend's words were, she didn't think twice about Kirk's multiple comments, or Uhura's subtle looks, or how protective Kit got with her when Spock was around, or how McCoy seemed strangely amused when the two would agree with each other, or how Darcey constantly tried to get her to hang around Spock instead of herself. Vera knew she wasn't going to let herself be distracted by Spock, and she wouldn't dare try anything on him. Ever

Their situation took light the moment their prolonged gaze grew awkward, as if the First Officer had sensed the Third-In-Command's private thoughts. Khan and Kirk were going to fly through debris and the endless and mind-numbing expanse of space to confront the war-mongering Admiral Marcus, who they would have been long dead at the hands of, had it not been for the very engineer that'd quit only a day earlier over human-stuffed torpedos manned by a centuries-old superhuman with a penchant for murder. Never did Vera think she'd encounter anything half so complicated when she agreed to a position on her ship in exchange for jail time. 

Things were going very wrong aboard the USS Enterprise, and in that moment, Vera knew she had so much more to be worrying about that unreciprocated emotion. 

"Have you heard word from Lieutenant Commander Pike lately?" Spock asked as the two took the lift back up to bridge, both of their minds focused on their crew, Kirk, and the little Half-Vulcan presumably still stuck in the med bay simultaneously. 

Thinking on it, Vera realized that she hadn't seen her best friend since hours earlier on the bridge, and hadn't spoken alone to him since their mission began what seemed like a lifetime ago. She hadn't gotten to hear why he and Uhura were fighting, and if they ever resolved their differences in private. She hadn't even told him, her best friend, whom she never kept secrets from, about little Nath. She hadn't even gotten to pry the grief about his father's passing out of him. Vera had been so focused on the rest of the Enterprise's crew that she'd neglected Kit entirely, and with that one sentence from Spock, she felt like the worst friend in the universe. 

With a sigh, Vera shook her head, her chest deflating as she spoke in a low tone: "No...I should really talk to him, you know, about his dad and such...I suppose I've been a bad friend to him lately, so stressed out and so focused on Nath and Marcus and Khan that I...well, I should have been there for him more." Then, she suddenly seemed to realize who she was ranting sadly to, and glanced up briefly, slightly embarrassed, "Sorry...You probably didn't want to hear about that."