Chapter 8: Naruto Alone

Naruto uses some of his Chakra to make himself faster, and easily catches up to Pain, who lies defeated on a boulder, where Naruto was sitting just before the attack on the village. Naruto looks down on Pain, feeling no pity towards him.

" You can't go around ruining people's lives because you think it's what the world needs," Naruto tells Pain in an oddly low tone.

Pain looks down at the ground and smiles slightly," I did what I could...... and that's all that matters." Pain's breathing becomes slower, and soon he lies lifeless on the ground.

Naruto sits down next to Pain for a moment, finally relaxing after a long battle. While Naruto eases himself, something strange lies at the back of his mind. Pain's idea of peace drifts around his brain. Naruto always thought that being happy is peace, but in his mind he starts thinking more and more about Pain's idea of peace. Naruto decides to get up and walk back to what's left of the village, shaking off thoughts of Pain. As needlessly hard as Naruto tries, he can't embrace the idea of hurting someone to get peace.

When Naruto comes back to the edge of his destroyed village, memories of his tormented childhood come to mind. He remembers one man, who lived near the edge of the village. He had hated Naruto with a passion, and always spat at his feet. Now he would probably be dead, and thinking about him makes Naruto feel something odd. He can't exactly figure out what it is, but it feels like some sort of justice. Naruto gets scared of this idea and pushes it off of his mind.

While Naruto walks along the outside of the crater, he can sense Pain's Chakra. Ninjas can sense someone's Chakra when they are alive, but when they are dead, they can't sense it anymore. This could only mean that Pain is still alive. Naruto comes to a halt and tries to follow the Chakra to its location. Naruto moves fast and soon comes to an obviously fake imitation tree. He breaks the disguise with his Chakra and sees two members of the Akatsuki. The male one has red hair and wears a red cloak, and the female one has purple hair and wears the Akatsuki cloak. Naruto is surprised that Pain isn't here, after all, this is where his Chakra is.

" Where's Pain," Naruto demands the two Akatsuki ninjas and takes a step towards them.