【LAST GEAR】

✧✧✧

ѕυƒƒєяιηgѕ ιη ℓιƒє, ρєα¢є ιη ∂єαтн

✧✧✧

Wrist shackled, hair messy and eyes lifeless. Rea looked at himself in the mirror and he hated the reflection. He had been in the plain room behind black bars, accompanied by the demons in his head and the voices around him.

His thoughts were eating his sanity and he would scratch his face and his scalp as if it could chase them away. He would shout on the top of his lungs until his voice disappeared. There was no need for Taurent to choke him, he threw his voice away himself. There was no need for Haemi to save him because it would be futile.

When he heard footsteps and the smell of porridge coming his way, he would lunge to the bars and the metal collars around his neck would pull him back. The police officer would watch him with eyes of pity as he pushed the plate inside.

"Eat, boy. Or you won't see the day any longer." It was Peter's voice. He was assigned to observe him from doing anything crazy but crazy was what defined the boy.

"I can hardly see the sun anymore," Rea's hoarse voice could barely be heard. His eyes were no longer the color of forest filled with life but they were the hues of ashes, gray and dead. Rea was as lifeless as the room with no window.

"Rea, it pains me seeing you like this. Please, recover. You still have a long life to go."

"I hurt you, officer? It must have been better if I disappear..." He played with the foods in his plate, trying to spell his name and then crossing them out. "I wish I could just stop breathing."

The night was cold and his mind was heartless. He cried while cowering in fear and melancholy in the corner, afraid that if he lived, he would hurt everyone. His hands clasped together as he prayed to whoever was out there with the power to grant his last hope.

It was painful for him to remember every bloody scene that was committed by a man that always had a smile on his face. Yet, it felt as if Taurent was doing it for him. It was hurting him when he thought his life was awarded with the expense of the deaths of others.

His breathing was unstable and heavy as he continued to wail in his cell. The air was filling his chest but it was painful. The pang in his heart as it clenched tightly caused him to gasp. His small hand hit his chest continuously as if he was pumping the blood in his system manually.

As if his wish was finally realized, the beating in his chest abruptly stopped as the thoughts of death and the stress from his chaotic thoughts finally killed him. The energy in his body disappeared, and the warmth of his hands were exchanged with the coldness of winter. His spirit had left both his body and this world.

His frail body made a thud on the cold floor, the only warmth he could feel was from his tears rolling sideway. The last puff of breath produced a cloud in front of his face. Then he could see an imagery. A scene so beautiful that when he closed his eyes, he didn't regret that his story had turned to the last page.

A wide field of greens that was filled with small wild flowers with the blue sky above him was a spectacular view. The sun was out but his skin didn't burn. His feet could feel the ground and he realized that they were no longer the usual wooden legs.

He spun around taking in the space until he spotted a man with blonde hair. The familiar back made his heart clenched as if he was still alive. Even if it was a dream, he didn't want to take his eyes from the adult. Rea wanted the man to stay.

The prickling grass as he ran tickled him but he paid no attention to it. The breeze blew his hair back and his arms reached out so he could reach to him as soon as he could. The big figure he had in his arms one more time was very warm and he could feel the man turned around in his holds.

"Rea."

That loving voice that he wished he could hear again caused him to tremble both in sadness and happiness. The same pair of blue eyes that only looked at him and cared for him was once again directed to the boy.

"Father."

Big hands brushing his cheeks and a soft chuckle went out of the man's lips. He said, "I wish you could have called me that earlier."

The world was cruel. It was beyond evil to people like them because they loved and cared for each other very differently. They were willing to be shackled to each other. A dynamic that was not accepted in the society of the Normal.

However, it was in that hell they found heaven. It was in other people's nightmare called death that they found paradise. The blessing for being alive was nothing but torture for the two.

Until then, the spirit of a man and a boy without a physical body could finally be stuck in their own twisted world. The moment they stopped breathing was the time they could finally be alive. It was then, they found peace.

In the end, Rea could not achieve the happiness he dreamt of in the mortal world. He could not make the choices that could give people joy. He lived and died in despair but despite that, his sufferings ended there. The extreme love and care he had received, brought him to his destruction.

If he had not reached out to be saved, there would never be any murders happening in the manor and Haemi would still have his parents. However, Rea would still think his values were those of paper notes and nothing more. One thing he could understand was that he was not merely the master's doll.

✧✧✧

The eyelids to a pair of brown eyes abruptly opened and the oxygen around him was sucked in deeply that his chest swelled up. A small hand gripped him very tightly and his instinct made him hold on to it in panic.

"Rea?" Haemi turned his head but he was greeted with the worried faces of his sister and another old lady he had seen once in the Children's Home. The boy asked, "Who are you?"

"You're Rea's friend aren't you? I'm Emily and I'm here to take care of both of you."

Her smile was genuine and worry etched on her face but Haemi was looking for a certain boy. As if his thoughts were easily read, Emily answered him, "Rea is no longer here."

Haemi's hands were shaking and his feet ran cold. He thought Rea would still be there since he saw and heard Rea crying. The boy's eyes watered and urged for an explanation, not believing her words.

"They found him dead in his cell. They said it was because of a heart muscle failure from intense stress." Emily brushed her hands on his as an attempt to calm him down. "I know this might be hard on you but, it is what it is."

Haemi covered his eyes with his right arm, muffling his cries by biting down on his lips as he felt warm tears roll down from the corner of his eyes. The boy prayed in between gritted teeth, "I hope he's finally free and in peace now."

A/N: Finally it ends. I hope all of you enjoy the story that evolved around Rea. Was it the ending that you expected? I hope not. Also, since you have read this far, do give a click on the star. It would really make me feel happy and since I am planning to write about a certain doll maker, it will make me feel motivated. Thank you for keeping up with me.