【GEAR 18】

✧✧✧

ιη ∂αяк тιмєѕ, gσσ∂ ƒяιєη∂ѕ ѕнσω уσυ тнє ℓιgнт вυт тяυє ƒяιєη∂ѕ тαкє уσυя нαη∂ αη∂ ωαℓк ву уσυя ѕι∂є.

✧✧✧

It was rage that filled the weak body of the adult. The blanket that had been covering him slipped and fell to the ground as he stood up. Eyes glaring sharp to the face of the freckled boy. Driven with fury, he walked towards the two, Haemi tried to pull Rea who was glued to the floor to get out of the room.

Rea didn't react fast enough when a hand separated him from the hold of the other. His body felt weak, he slumped to the ground. A mixture of feelings was swirling inside of him. Did he feel relieved to see the blonde waking up or was it the fear from seeing how Haemi was treated in front of him?

Haemi's brown locks were gripped tightly and dragged on the floor, kicking hysterically due to the pain from his scalp. Despite being handled roughly, he told Rea to get out of the house and run far away. Even if he did, he wouldn't know where to go.

It was then he knew he needed to make a choice, to stay and let a life fly, or to escape and break his promise. Which is more valuable? he pondered, Was it a life or a promise? Was it to let Haemi live in this world he knew was merciless or the promise that he and Taurent made in exchange for each other's life?

Rea took a heavy book from the pile on the floor. He crept behind the man who was already taking hold of the other boy's neck, trying to push him out from the window. "I'm sorry," he mumbled. With his shaking hands, he repeatedly hit the adult in the room.

Taurent who was already lightheaded from before, had his mind spun when he felt the continuous impact at the back of his head. He staggered and his strength on Haemi's neck depleted. He turned around just to see the pale boy with conflict in his face, anger adding with sadness. It was not beautiful. "Why do you look like that, now?" Taurent breathlessly asked. Eyes as blue as the oceans stared back to the shining forest green eyes. Taurent was searching for something deep inside the green hue, regret.

"Get away, murderer!" Haemi swung his leg as hard as he could to the man's stomach. The strong impact left him crouching down. Haemi pulled the boy by his arms out of the room, down the stairs, and quickly unlocked the main door.

The physical pain he felt did not compare with the pang he felt in his heart. Rea betrayed him, and it was Haemi that led him to act in such a way. Next time, he will take him back and destroy everything that prevents them from their happiness. The happiness that both him and Rea had wished from a long time ago.

✧✧✧

Haemi took the train tickets his mother had left on the dinner table for both of them. It seemed they had gone before them, since his bag was nowhere to be seen. He stepped out, his breathing was still heavy from how fast he pedaled his bike, not to mention he had another person to bring.

On the ground in front of the house's door, there sat Rea, face in his knees and his hands holding his shoelaces. Haemi bent down and tied them for him. Rea's right shoe was missing, it must have fallen on their way here since they were in such a hurry. He appeared to be more helpless than the already vulnerable Rea.

"Hey, look up," Haemi softly told him as he rubbed the top of the other's head. Rea's eyes were swollen, his nose red and cheeks wet. Rea swatted the other's hand away. Even the force he exerted on him was weak.

How are you going to escape from him without me? Haemi questioned quietly. Ignoring the other's discomfort, he wiped the tears and held his face in his hands. The difference in complexions between the both of them were evident. The pale skin against a sun-kissed one. Rea's face was hot and red. The sun must have been painful for him.

"Rea, listen to me. This is the right thing to do, okay?"

Rea's lips trembled as more and more crystals rolled down. "I betrayed him, Haemi," Rea's small shaky voice was painful to Haemi. You could hear it was not only sadness in it, there was guilt and shame, "But I don't want to lose you, either." Coughs came after the second sentence.

Haemi quickly pulled him in his arms. Rea was breaking down, if he was not careful, Rea could just disappear by himself. Haemi didn't want that to happen, he refused to let the other suffer like that. A friend should be there to support the other, to keep them from going astray no matter what.

"Anyway, Rea, look. I made this for you," Haemi took out a glass jar from his bag filled with soft golden liquid, "I learned this could soothe a sore throat. You see, I have always wanted to talk more with you. So, I hope you accept this." Haemi put the jar into Rea's small hand. Haemi tried to give him the brightest beam he had always put on his face. Seeing that, a soft smile made its way on Rea's face.

"Now, you are finally smiling," Haemi gave him his biggest smile. "Let's go, we must not be late. We can still make it by bike."

"Where are we going?"

"Somewhere safe." Haemi pulled Rea's hand to stand up. Rea sat at the back and Haemi covered him with a cloth so that the sun wouldn't burn him further. Rea must have been burning with his long sleeves and trousers, but it had to be done to protect his sensitive skin.

"Oh wait, I don't think we could go like this. I should have just lent you my spare shoe." Haemi rushed back inside and came back as fast as lightning. He quickly made Rea wear his shoe for the time being, they were a little big for the other, but he couldn't let Rea walk with only his left shoe.

They went to the train station where they met Haemi's family. Anne and Leah were happy with their arrival. Thankfully, they hadn't missed the first train. It was a first for Rea to talk with Haemi's family as he usually hid behind the shadows.

All the time in the train of the first-class section, he held Haemi's hand tight subconsciously. The place was very foreign to him, so he sat close to the other boy. Haemi smelled like sweat and the sun and the sound of his breathing calmed him down. At times, he would try to match with Haemi's pace to distract him from thinking about Taurent.

Rea drank the honey from the glass jar and it lit him up. It was so sweet and soft that it soothed his throat.

"Sweet isn't it?" Haemi asked Rea, to which he replied with a vigorous nod, "I will make more for you and you must drink all of them. At least when you talk, it wouldn't hurt that much."

Haemi was a really kind person. He helped him without asking for a return. Very different from how his relationship with Taurent was. The adult and him live by feeding off each other, but what Haemi had was sincerity without expecting anything.

I guess that is what love is? Rea wondered on his own. It was a long trip, but the scenery outside caught his eyes. So many greens, the trees, the grass, the wilds. He turned to the left and was greeted with the sleeping face of Haemi with drool flowing out from the corner of his mouth.

Anne and Leah were also quietly sleeping. Leah had her head on her mother's lap and Anne still looked very angelic and beautiful. Rea looked around feeling something was missing until he realized Lord Vestal Kral was not with them. Yet, Anne was not alarmed, maybe he had some works to do.