【GEAR 11】

"Stay here, Rea." Taurent patted his shoulder as he rose up and walked to the door. Rea noticed the adult took a knife with him but that didn't surprise him any longer. The boy looked around himself, there were six people in the room but only one was breathing. Taurent must had planned to have breakfast with only them since without him, they would evenly be six people. He was the odd one out.

The sounds of a struggling person whose voice Rea could not recognize touched his ears. He turned to face the direction where it came from. Then Taurent appeared along with an old man, who had a knife to his neck.

"Rea, say your greetings. This is the doctor who has been looking after you and Sasha."

Rea bowed his head, greeted him with a simple, "Good morning." The fact that Rea could follow his words calmly in front of a shivering old man who must have already noticed the lifeless bodies in the room, entertained Taurent.

The old man was made to sit on the seat that was used by Oli. Then Taurent asked them to wait as he put the other kids somewhere else leaving only the two of them and the unresponsive Sasha. As Taurent was out of sight, the doctor quickly made a conversation, "Rea, this may be sudden but are you kidnapped?"

The panic in his voice was evident but nevertheless Rea shook his head and answered that Taurent saved him. The doctor was surprised and claimed that the man must have brainwashed him. He urged Rea to leave the house quickly.

"Please sir, don't do anything rash. The master is kind of... not in his right mind."

The doctor had his face in his hands as he let out a frustrated groan. The old man lashed out, "Glad you know he is unstable! Taurent is crazy. I know I have no evidence but my son! He was found dead this morning! I know it's that lunatic's work."

"Correct."

The two of them turned to face the voice that disturbed them. Taurent walked to Sasha and brought her to the seat opposite of the doctor. One hand on his hip, Taurent said in a casual manner, "I hope she doesn't make you throw out your breakfast, Sir Law."

"How about we play a game to make you feel better?" Taurent poured two cups of tea and put them on the table. The blonde claimed that he had put poison in one of the cups and, as their honored guest, Taurent let Law choose one and the other would be drunk by Rea. Of course, the doctor refused.

"I know you have a very good daughter and I wish to remarry soon. Perhaps, you prefer that," Taurent spoke while swirling his tea spoon in his cup. Thoughtlessly, Law took one of the teacups in anger and drank it all in one go, then Rea extended his hand to take the other. It was earl grey, the master's favorite.

Law was waiting for the poison to kick in but there was no effect. The old man turned to Rea and advised him to not force himself. Rea however calmly downed the tea and Taurent smiled as he sat down. They waited for a while and still, nothing happened. The boy remained calm. Deep in Rea's heart, he knew Taurent wouldn't risk his life. Taurent was just feeling frisky that day.

"What is the meaning of this?"

"Nothing. It appears to be I forgot to put some in," Taurent retorted as he pushed a plate of cake that was once before in front of Sasha to Law. Then he cut a small piece from Rea's plate and put it in his mouth. He gestured for both of them to eat and Rea complied because honestly, the chocolate cake was pretty good.

Both Rea and Taurent were eating from the same plate. The blonde would frequently ask Rea if he liked it and the boy would always nod. The normal scene of the two astonished the doctor. They were talking as if nothing happened, as if there was no corpse sitting with them.

Law, despite being wary, followed. He carefully tasted the cake before swallowing to see if it tasted funny. Right after the second spoon, Taurent broke the silence, "But I didn't forget to put some in there."

Then right there, Law dropped the spoon that he was holding. The same symptoms of poisoning from Hemlock, paralyzed and trouble breathing. The old man put his stubby hand on his chest, trying to suck in air to his system. The other two just waited until he stopped.

It was peaceful when the doctor finally stopped struggling to hold onto dear life. Rea took in the image of the old man while Taurent was poking the small chunk on Rea's spoon with his and his left hand holding up his chin.

After a few moments, Rea asked, "Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you do all this?"

Taurent made a thinking pose before he shrugged, "I have enough of people that play behind my back."

Rea asked again but this time it was about the other kids, "What did they do to deserve such fate?"

Taurent stopped everything he was doing. The metal spoon clunked on the plate as he put them down. The manly fingers of the man intertwined with each other as he placed his hands in front of him, looking so poised.

"Are you questioning me, Rea?"

Rea shook his head slowly and his gaze fell on the table. It might not be appropriate to ask now but, he wanted to know. The plate was now empty, unlike the ones that were filled with poisoned cake. Taurent made the same rhythmic tap of his fingers on the table.

"Have you ever thought of putting yourself on a noose?" The sudden question caught Rea.

Rea had thought of running away from his abusive home but never to the point of thinking for suicide. He had his mother by his side. Thus, Rea shook his head. Taurent slid his hand to the crook of the boy's slender neck.

"I did. The way the flow of air was blocked," Taurent began as he pushed the middle of Rea's throat softly and he continued with the descriptions, "I can't breathe and I can't ask for help."

Rea started to cough as the adult turned his action to that of a choke. The young boy put his hands on the other's wrist as he tried to say, 'Stop.' However, no voice came out.

"It was as if I had no voice but even if I could, my voice was never heard by anyone. Everything I said was meaningless."

Rea started to feel light-headed and a prickling pain was formed in the area of his larynx, Taurent paused as if the time had stopped, but Rea continued to gasp for air. Then the hold loosened after Rea coughed uncontrollably for a few moments.

Rea inhaled deeply right away. He could feel some mucus was forming in his throat as he continued to cough. His throat didn't feel right and when he tried to make a sound, it came out hoarse.

Taurent frowned as he finished his sentence, "Do you understand now the feeling of losing your voice. It was as if every opinion you voiced out was not needed. But Rea, even if you don't have a voice, I will understand you, and that way you will know there is no one else out there that could take care of you as I do.

All you have to do is follow what I say, just like the pretty doll you are. They said, men, being interested in dolls and making clothes are out of this world. They didn't know that dealing with dolls is much easier than taking care of their stupidity. So, Rea, help me prove them wrong. Let's live in a happy world together, just you and me. I will provide you with everything you need. All I ask is to stay with me." Taurent put Rea's hands in his.

Rea looked up, noting that his voice was not needed and pondered over the dodged question. It was true that Rea had felt the feelings of not being accepted. Perhaps, living with someone who went through something similar could make them better off. Rea was thrown to the side due to him having a value less than paper notes, and the society's views on genders was what hindered Taurent.

All they needed to do was to acknowledge each other. It was how Taurent deemed Rea as his most treasured possession, not only because Rea accepted him but also due to one of his works being used by the boy to continue his daily life. It made Taurent feel useful.

In Rea's part, that was the day he became the living doll that beautified the grey and tasteless world Taurent was in. Rea was valued highly, his needs would be met and no more hardships for him. They completed one another.