45◉ For Him

Haider felt awkward as the doctor asked him to sit comfortably on the leather couch

Haider felt awkward as the doctor asked him to sit comfortably on the leather couch. He rested his head on the long armrest and placed his palms on his stomach. Dr. Geiti sat beside him with a notepad and a pen. She exhaled deeply and looked up at him, adjusted her glasses, and cleared her throat.

'Okay, Haider. Tell me something about your father.' She said, her voice a lighter tone. Haider looked at her with mild surprise. She silently urged him. He looked front and let out an unsteady breath.

'Mohd. Minhas Ali, my father. He was a very kindhearted and honest man. He was a clerk and had a decent earning.'

Dr. Geiti hummed, - 'Was? Happened to him, Haider?'

Haider swallowed hard, his voice quivered as he revealed, - 'He had cancer—he died when I was—12.' He let out a shaky breath again. Tears pricked his eyes and he quickly blinked away.

There was silence between them. Dr. Geiti spoke cautiously, - 'And your mother?'

Haider lowered his gaze, ignoring the tightness in the pit of his stomach. His throat felt parched, - 'She divorced him when I was 10 and remarried three to four months later.' – He paused massaging his forehead with his shaky fingers, rubbing off the sweat beads, - 'I stayed with my father until his death and then my ste—stepdad adopted me.' He closed his eyes feeling warm tears cloud his eyesight.

Dr. Geiti jolted down all the points and then looked at him, - 'Tell me something about your days with your parents together and then with your dad.' She leaned back, placing one leg over the other. Haider nodded and began to narrate his childhood. His lips curved into a small smile as he recollected those fun days when his parents were together. His smile widened as he narrated his memories of his father.

'And with your step-dad?' She asked. Haider's smile faded and his expressions turned serious. Dr. Geiti observed him.

'It was okay until the—' He shifted uncomfortably and concentrated on the spotlights of the false ceiling.

Dr. Geiti frowned, - 'until?'

Haider looked at her, - 'I haven't talked about it to anyone.' He confessed. The doctor smiled warmly and placed a warm hand over his hand.

'Do you have any friends?' She asked

Haider exhaled deeply, - 'No.' He replied with a poker face.

'Hmm, I want to be your first friend. Will you be my friend?'

He frowned, - 'I am not a four-year-old, Dr. Geiti.'

The doctor chuckled, - 'Of course, then why are you making childish statements?'

Haider sighed and rested his head in a comfortable position. He took a moment, gulped softly, - 'until the abuse began—' he found the irritating lump returning.

'What type of abuse?'

'Physical, emotional, and mental.' He said in a low almost inaudible tone.