41◉ Being Selfish or Being Human

Mikael was surprised to see the watchman missing from the security room

Mikael was surprised to see the watchman missing from the security room. He passed it off thinking he might have gone for a break. Lucky for him as he didn't have to take permission. Knowing very well that Haider lives here too, he would definitely send him away. Slowly, he opened the gate and walked through the pathway. He rang the doorbell and patiently waited for someone to open the door. When there was no response, he twisted the doorknob and to his surprise, the door clicked open. Hesitantly, he pushed the door open.

'Alina!' His voice resonated through the silent halls. Mikael noticed only lights of a bedroom were on. He frowned and cautiously walked towards the room. The door was wide open. He stepped in and his eyes widened upon seeing Alina sitting in the fetal position on the bed and down was unconscious and bloodied Haider. He was sprawled on the floor, blood oozing from the one side of his head, eyes swollen and blackened, his lips bruised and had bloodstains. His shirt loosely tugged out of his trousers.

Mikael's heart thumped in his chest and he could barely speak. His mouth hung open in shock and his eyes don't blink. Alina whimpered staring at Haider. She felt a presence and slowly looked up. Through tears in her eyes, she saw a familiar figure at the door. He looked equally horrified.

'Mi—Kael.' She called his name in a shaky, meek voice. She leaped from her bed and launched at him, wrapping her arms tightly around his waist and began to sob badly. Mikael's brain wasn't working. He could see Haider's lifeless body and a crying Alina. He took a time to gather himself, then held her shoulder and pulled her away.

'What happened here, Alina?'

Alina swallowed hard and narrated the entire incident about Jahangir and his men threatening her, then after that incident, she had composed herself, she was in for a shock when she stumbled upon Haider lying like this in the room.

'I didn't do this to him—I found him this way—' She struggled to breathe as she cried. Mikael held her shoulders and shook her.

'Calm down.' He called her desperately. Then, without wasting any more time, he dialed the ambulance. He doesn't bring it out that she should have called the ambulance earlier. Her mental state wasn't as such that she would have thought with sense.

The next twenty minutes went excruciatingly slow for both Mikael and Alina. She kept glancing helplessly at him while he stood by Haider, resting on the bed, checking his pulse. He had wiped off the blood and removed his blood-soaked shirt. There were bruises all over his upper body like before. Finally, the ambulance arrived and carried Haider to the hospital. Alina and Mikael sat with him. She kept clenching Mikael's hand in both her hands and kept silently crying. Though Mikael was putting up a brave front, he was scared to death as well.

In the hospital Haider was admitted to the VIP ward, Alina and Mikael waited outside. She sat on the bench, staring at the floor while he anxiously paced outside the ICU. She looked at him.

'How did I get into this, Mikael?' She shrugged.

'What do you mean?' He enquired looking confused. She shook her head, lowering her gaze.