13 ◉ A Missing Friend

Alina cussed mindlessly as Meera's phone failed to connect again

Alina cussed mindlessly as Meera's phone failed to connect again. Desperately, she glanced at the clock. It has been three hours since she had returned while Meera had zoomed off with Ronnie.

'I had warned her not to go for a stranger.'- She hurried to the couch and sat there with her palm over her forehead. She closed her eyes briefly and then dialed her number again. Just then, she heard the clicking of keys, and Alina leaped from her seat. She scurried towards the door and before she could open the door, the door flung open.

'Final—' She paused upon seeing Jessica looking at her with one of her perfectly arched eyebrows raised.

'Woah!' She exclaimed while dropping the keys into the tray placed on top of the tall shoe rack next to the door. Alina sighed loudly and dragged her feet to the couch. Jessica observed her as she walked towards her room. She stopped at the entrance and glanced at her flatmate for a moment before moving inside.

Jessica wore her PJs and casually entered the living room. She frowned upon seeing Alina sitting with her legs on the sofa and her palm over her forehead.

'Hey! Wanna have coffee?' Jessica's voice floated into Alina's ear, sounding like it was coming from a far distance. She opened her eyes and looked haphazardly. She thought for a moment and felt her head hurt. She was already so preoccupied with thoughts of Meera and all the worst-case scenarios that must be happening to her. Jessica gathered her hair and twisted it into a bun and leaned against the sofa.

'What happened?' She enquired looking intently at her. Alina shook her head and leaned forward. She folded her legs and sighed. She narrated everything that happened outside the office building.

'And now, she isn't answering her call.' Alina shrugged, showing her phone. Jessica folded her arms and shook her head.

'Silly girl.' – She paused dropping her arms, - 'Try again, I will get coffee for you.' She said. Alina was surprised by her concern. It was a welcome change. She straightened moving her legs, resting her feet on the ground, and called out to Jessica.

'I am in the balcony.' Alina wore her slippers and limped two steps before walking properly.

She walked into the balcony with the phone plastered to her ear and a thumbnail in between her teeth. The sky was pitch dark with no stars or moon. The night was slightly chilly as well and even now, the streets looked deserted with few people on the streets. Thanks to the streetlights, brightening the streets made Alina less nervous.

'Shoot! Now she has switched off her phone. Or is it someone else.' She murmured to herself. She stared at her phone screen in disbelief. Alina sighed slamming the railing and looked ahead. She stilled upon seeing the same hooded person standing in the same place as before. Alina squinted her eyes for a better look at him. His face was still not visible, and he had worn the same hoodie he had last time. She had seen him one week back and then never again. This was getting creepier.