8◉ From the Past

'Let me out—' the young boy banged the door, sweating terribly

'Let me out—' the young boy banged the door, sweating terribly. He could hardly see anything in the dark dingy room, - 'Anyone there—Ammi—Ammi—'

Squeak.... Squeak....

He froze upon hearing rats. Alarmed he looked around and in the darkness hallucinated little creatures running around. The young boy pressed his back against the door and gulped hard. By now he was drenched in sweat, partly because of the heat and mostly fear.

'Ammi—Ammi.' The boy cowered as he dropped at the door, - 'Open the door, please. Ammi, Ammi—Ammi...'

'Ammi!' Haider woke up with a startle. He gasped sitting up straight on the bed and dropping his legs down. He quivered running his palm over his face. Then, he looked at the time and was surprised to realize it was three in the night. It was rare for him to sleep on his own but the encounter with Alina made him think about her and then drift into sleep.

Haider blinked several times and stood up. He walked out of the room while sliding into his satin night robe.

The moonlight dimly lit the villa, he climbed down the stairways and looked around. He realized all the servants were fast asleep. Silently he made his way into the kitchen. He opened the top cabinet and pulled out a blue-rimmed, spotted ivory ceramic cup, opened the lid and placed it on the white granite. As he poured water into the kettle his mind raced back in time.

'Daddy, why do you drink so much tea?' Young Haider enquired as he got tea and some snacks for his father. His dad who was busy with the paper was quick to put down his paper and appreciate his son. The young lad felt his chest fill with pride.

'Because chotu. I am addicted to tea.'- Minhas made his son sit on his lap, - 'It is a pretty harmless addiction.' He stated while picking up his blue-rimmed, spotted ivory ceramic cup.

Young Haider sighed and jumped down his father's lap, - 'Any addiction is harmful.' – He spoke with confidence and authority, - 'and beside you are not only drinking tea along with it you are taking so much sugar and—and milk tea isn't any good. Try black tea with no sugar.' He said and patted his father's shoulder.

Minhas threw his head back as he laughed at his son's cute yet adult talk, - 'Son, I love you very much but not so much to start drinking such a bitter concoction.' He commented and began laughing again.

Haider chuckled but with the whistle of the kettle, he was brought back to the present. Quickly, he fixed his expressions and took a deep breath. He could still hear a warm gentle voice whispering into his eyes, - 'I love you, my son.'

After making himself a strong black tea, Haider got back to his room. He walked into the balcony and stood against the stainless steel and glass balcony. It overlooked the vast greenery of the villa with a pool in the middle, long swing chair placed over well-trimmed grass, and surrounded by lush trees. Haider took a sip of his black tea and let out a breath. The greenery was soothing to his eyes. This was how he likes to spend his time.