30◉ Choice & Chosen

Alina was numb as Haider held her hand

Alina was numb as Haider held her hand. The feel of his touch as though she was limp. Slowly, she lowered her head and noticed her ring finger was bare. Her head shot up and she looked at Haider, who was grinning pridefully as though everything was normal, everything was pre-planned and consensus. To her next surprise, he got the same ring out from a red box. Amongst clapping hands and wildly clicking cameras Haider slipped the ring into her finger. Then, he forwarded another box to her. Alina kept staring dumbly at him.

'Miss. Alina.' He held her shoulder and shook her a little. She blinked back from her daze. Slowly, with the shaky hand she took the box from him. Inside was a beautiful platinum diamond-studded men's ring. Mechanically, Alina slipped the ring into his fingers. Tears pricked her eyes as she looked up and gazed into his eyes. Haider's heart fell seeing tears glistening in her eyes, but he was helpless. As a response, he gripped her hand tightly.

'I am sorry, Miss. Alina. This was the only way I could keep you to myself. I didn't want you to be uncertain about us anymore.' – Haider thought in his heart.

Alina walked past people who were desperately trying to gain her attention or talk to her. She stood at the bar counter and gulped lightly. She ordered water to calm her nerves.

'Congratulations.' Alina stilled upon hearing a polite voice. She turned around and found Mikael standing in front of her. He wore a tux and had his hair gelled and combed sideways, a glass of juice in his hand. She doesn't reply to him but realized his tone wasn't that of taunting her but of concern.

'Are you okay?' He asked. Alina nodded. Choosing Haider was her choice, she can't let him, or anyone know that she was feeling hurt by that decision.

'Are you sure?'

Before Alina could answer, she felt an arm around her waist pulling her possessively closer.

'Yes, she is very much Okay. Mr. Jaffery.' Haider replied for her. He kept staring coldly at Mikael. But the latter wasn't intimidated.

'I want to hear from he—'

'Trust me, Mr. Jaffery.' – Haider paused holding Alina tighter, she winced but he doesn't notice, - 'You are her friend and, I am her fiancé.' – Now, he looked at her and smiled, - 'Come, my love. You have a few other people to meet.' Then, he swiped her with him. Alina turned back glancing at Mikael as she was taken away.

Alina robotically met people Haider introduced her to. Amongst all high-profile personalities, she felt little. She knew Haider's intent was not to belittle her, but she felt demeaned.

'He is Mr. Danny Subberwal, he has many oil refineries in his name, and she is—' Haider stopped mid-sentence. The woman with the bob-cut hair smirked and extended her hand.

'Roma.'

Alina instantly recollected her from Haider's office. His ex-girlfriend looked stunning in maroon rhinestone embedded dhoti saree with an off-shoulder blouse. She had minimal make-up, a classy pair of diamond chandbali adorned her ears and her neck was bare.