Chapter 13: Answers

I open my eyes and sit up in the bed. It looks similar to a hospital room, but the equipment is different. "Where am I?"

"The pa- the... Hospital." My mom explains.

"What? Aren't I still at Max's house?"

"You are, darling. We healed your neck. Just rest."

"I... I can't." I frown, getting off of the bed. I notice that my neck is no longer aching. There's an IV in my wrist filled with some sort of red liquid. "Weren't you the least bit curious as to where I was?"

My mom sighs, "I already know."

"What? What do you mean you know? How do you know?" I take the IV out of my wrist and it stings a little.

"I can't explain it right now, but you need someone... And that someone is Damien." She brushes a lock of my hair behind my ear.

"How do you know about him?" I cry in despair. I hate being put in the dark. Apparently everyone knows what's going on except for me. This must be some elaborate prank.

"There's a lot that you need to know, but now you need to wait for your mark to heal. Once it does, he will be able to mindlink and track you." I don't understand a thing she's telling me, but I nod as if I do. "I'm so glad you're here," she kisses my forehead.

Silently, my mom stands up and leaves the room. The door opens not much longer, and I see the last person I want to see. "Max," I grumble.

"Look, Lena, I'm sorry," he starts. I roll my eyes.

"Go away."

"No, please listen. I-I shouldn't have hurt you. I didn't mean to."

"I don't care, Max. Just go!" I almost yell. I'm not in the mood to talk to him or hear his bullshit excuses. He finally gives up and leaves. I relax on the bed and sigh.

Slowly, I get out of the bed. When I open the door to the outside, I notice that no one is anywhere to be seen. Both Max and my mom have vanished. Seeing my family doesn't bring me the comfort I expected. It only leaves me with more questions than answers, and now I'm sick of being left in the dark. I need answers now. I rush down the hall until I reach an opening. There's a desk with a computer and a chair, but the entire place is vacant.

'Lena.' A familiar voice rings through my mind, but I can hardly hear it. I feel a headache and I grab my head. It feels like something is trying to break through my mind, but I'm stopping it from doing so.

It suddenly vanishes, and I realize I'm crouched on the ground. I recover quickly and look around the room. I run to the computer and I wake it up. The screen lights up and I see a search engine bar and I type 'Mark, Mates, Mindlink.' A series of links pop up, each having to do with supernatural beings. I click on images, seeing a neck with an odd tattoo of a wolf, but it can't be a tattoo. It's different than what a tattoo actually looks like. Pictures of wolves pop up as well, which confuses me even more. I go back to the web and click on a random site.

'Mark: A term in the werewolf kingdom, which is to claim a mate. The mark is placed by the male wolf, normally around the neck area.' I brush my neck, but there's a bandage on it.

'Mate: Short for soulmate, a male or female's partner. They are chosen for one another and have a unique bond.'

'Mindlink: A system in which one can link minds with another, able to put thoughts into one's mind and force them to do things.' I come to the conclusion that my mom wants Damien to "mindlink" me so he can put stupid images in my head? None of it makes sense to me.