Chapter 1: Robbery

Max takes my hand for reassurance, although I know this is the dumbest thing I have ever done. "Max, this is the best and worst idea you've had," I whisper.

He kisses my forehead, "I promise we won't get caught." I bite the inside of my cheek and slowly creep to Mr.Brown's car. This is probably one of the biggest things that we've done. Besides occasionally robbing stores in the mall for cute clothes, it's one of the few times we ever engage in criminal acts just for satisfaction. Even if we do get caught, I won't mind as long as Mr. Brown gets what's coming to him. He's known for being a creep and watching little kids. He goes to parks where children play and he doesn't even have kids. He just watches other people's kids. The image burns in my head and I grind my teeth. I'm not letting this creep get away with messing with anymore kids.

I angrily toss the toilet paper at his house. It lands on his roof and rolls down until there's a long trail of toilet paper from the roof of his house down to the lawn. Memories of his home are flooding back to me and my eyes sting with tears. I pick up a rock and toss it through his car window. His car doesn't make a peep, and even the sound of the glass shattering the neighborhood remains silent. I want to violate everyone's property, if anything. The enablers they were. They know how sick Mr. Brown is and still allow children to be around him. Little girls like me who suffered most of my childhood. I can see the camera perched on the side of his house and I tug on Max's sleeve. "Camera," I whisper pointing at it.

He shrugs, "I noticed just before you started tossing the toilet paper, but it's alright. The hoodies don't show our faces." As an extra precaution, he walks over to the camera and covers it in spray paint to ease any worries. He then goes around the house to search for other cameras. He quickly spray paints over the camera and the others surrounding the house. I take the next toilet paper roll and toss it at his house. I even throw a few rocks that create dents but not anything too noticeable. I'm hoping I can make it through a window.

While Max comes back around from spray painting over the cameras, I finish off the last roll by throwing it into the tree in his yard. Max paints 'PEDOPHILE' all over his house. I go over to his car and wipe the glass off with my sleeve, but one of the shards pierced right through my hoodie and cut my hand. I wrap some toilet paper around it to absorb the blood. I reach in the window to unlock his door and I wipe away the extra pieces of glass in the driver's seat. "Time to go." Max ushers as he gets in the passenger side. I'm working up my magic to start the car by hot wiring it. "Any day now," Max comments after a moment. I quickly hush him just as the car revs to life and Max laughs.

I speed out of the driveway and down the neighborhood road. When we reach the gate, it opens slowly and we're back on the main road. Max rolls down his window and allows the window to slap his face. "That was amazing!" He shouts as I make it to a remote location where we can dump Mr. Brown's car. I put it in park and glance at Max who grins back at me. "I love you," he says hesitantly as I scoot over into his lap. I laugh a little nervously, unsure of what to say. It's the first time he's ever said  'I love you' in a meaningful way to me.

I'm not sure whether or not I should say it back to him. I'm not sure if I even know what love is, but Max is my boyfriend. I should love him. I'm sure Max can sense the uneasiness inside of me, so he plants kisses along my jaw and down to my neck. He grins as he reaches my neck and looks up at me and kisses my lips gently. I relax a little in his arms and pull away. I grin at him, "I thought I was going to die."

"It doesn't matter because you didn't. Brown deserved it." He kisses my cheek and opens the car door. I turn to scoot out and he follows.

"I'm gonna head home," he wraps his arms around me.

"Bye, Max" I hug him back and he kisses my cheek again, then we part ways.

"You can come over any time!" Max shouts back at me as I walk away. I start to walk home in the direction of the woods. There's a shortcut through the trees up ahead that takes me home faster. I hum a tune as I navigate through the trees. Once I reach the road I start to follow it home.