Chapter 9: Talk

Damien had to explain the entire kidnapping situation to his sister while Lily escorted me downstairs to the dining room. I met Elise's boyfriend, Drake, and I had the misfortune of running into Thaddeus again. Luckily, no words were exchanged this time, he just gave me a look and sat down at the end of the table with Damien's mom, Livvy.

"Sit next to me," Lily grins warmly. I hesitantly do so while Thaddeus eyes me.

"I wasn't aware the human was coming for brunch," Thaddeus clears his throat just as Damien walks in. I'm more relieved than I care to admit that he's here. I can't stop watching him as he walks over to Lily and I.

"Her name is Alena, dad," he snaps as he sits down next to me. Dad? I look at Thaddeus and then Damien. There's no way that's his father.

"Watch your tone with me, boy," Thaddeus growls.

Damien shoots a glare at his father, "then have a little respect for my mate." I can't lie, that turns me on. I clear my throat and cross my legs under the table. The tension between Damien's dad and Damien is increasing by the minute until Elise walks in with Drake.

"What did I miss?" She asks while she eyes them suspiciously. I can sense Damien's anger and frustration while he's beside me, and without thinking, I slip my hand onto his thigh. He jumps a little but it's only noticeable to me. His attention is now on me while everyone else indulges in conversation. I can see his eyes lighten up a bit and for the first time ever, he smiles at me. It causes my heart to do backflips in the air and an army of butterflies are exploding in my stomach. Damien takes my hand in his and picks it up and kisses my knuckles while gazing right at me. My breath hitches and he places my hand in his lap with his other hand still wrapped around it.

"Oh my God," Lily gasps and our trance is broken.

I blink in a dazed state as I notice they are all watching us. When Damien and I look up, they start up a conversation as if they weren't just watching us. My mind is racing with thoughts in my head and I can't help my beating heart. It's thudding so hard in my chest I'm paranoid that everyone else can hear it. I don't understand why I have feelings for Damien. None of it makes sense to me. My heart yearns to be with him in no way I've wanted to be with any other man. I'm so lost in my own head I don't even notice the plate presented in front of me.

"We should make a toast," Livvy giggles as she holds up her glass of wine. I watch as they all, including Damien lift their glasses up, but Livvy stares at me expectantly. "You too," she nudges.

I lift my glass as well and force a grin as Lily cheers, "to family!" My heart tugs at the thought of my own family. I miss them more than words can explain and I can't imagine the agony my parents are going through without me.

"Are you going to eat, or are you not hungry?" Elise asks. I snap out of my thoughts and notice everyone is eating except for me.

"I'm not hungry," I reply, but it almost comes out as a whisper. I feel sick when I think about never seeing my parents again.

"I need some fresh air." Damien stands up and tosses his napkin on the table next to his unfinished food. I feel my hand go cold without his touch but I ignore it.

I speak up, "Can I— Can I come with you?" The hesitation in my voice is thick, but Damien is unbothered by it.

"Sure," he grumbles. I stand up and follow his lead out of the room. He goes down a long hall I don't remember during our tour. I walk beside him and decide not to speak because usually when he's quiet he isn't in a good mood. "Out here," he pushes open a door and I gawk at the scenery. There's a large garden full of different species and mutations of plants and flowers.