the best feeling

(trigger warning: self harm)

he let the razor glide over his skin. i deserve this. he told himself. he did another cut. blood was everywhere. his arm was dripping with the red liquid. he did more and more, he couldn't stop.

the door opens. "what are you doing in her- oh my god! what are you doing to your arm?!" his mother came into the bathroom and saw her son cutting his arm with tears streaming down his face.

he looked down. "i just wanted to feel something, something real." and that was the last thing he said before rushing out of the front door.

the park. the only place he could be alone. he sat on the swing set and gently rocked back and fourth. his arm burned. he didn't care. i deserved this. he told himself over and over.

he felt something for the first time in years. he couldn't tell anybody. his arm was dripping with blood. he decided that he needed to go to the bathroom in the park to wash the blood away.

there was an old man in the bath room, washing his hands. he put his arm under the water and winced.

the old man cleared his throat and asked, "tell me lad, what happened to your arm."

brett shook his head, "oh, uhm i just fell." he lied.

the old man wasn't convinced. "you can tell me what happened, son. i won't tell anyone."

brett sighed. "i... cut myself... on purpose and my mom walked in and saw what i was doing to myself and i ran out." brett started slowly, but got faster and faster with each passing word. "i felt something for the first time in... forever." he added softly.

the old man nodded his hand and pulled up his sleeve. "see lad, i've gone through the same thing. your not alone." he said showing his arm ornamented in little lines. they were faded and small, but still visible.

unoriginal. he thought. he turned to the door. "thank you sir, i'm going to go home, and treat these wounds." he smiled and waved to the helpful old man. "and face my mother." he said softly to himself.

he walked out of the park onto the street. he turned left and passed the music store by his house. he took a right, to his house, and knocked on the door.

his mother opened the door and immediately launched herself onto him. "i'll always love you, don't forget that, and remember, you can tell me anything." his mother whispered as she hasn't let go of the embrace.

that was the day he told his mother about everything. she became his safe heaven.

the reason he hadn't told her earlier? he was afraid that she would see him as a lesser person and a lesser being just because of a mental illness that everyone goes through.

she excepted him completely.
———
hello! i know it's been awhile but here's a new chapter!
i'm here if you need me.
~shiro