chapter iv

She was the first one to notice me leaning on the wall. I know she noticed me, because for a split second she looked like she had seen a ghost. She looked at Daniel, to see him still seated where he had been seated when I entered the room. She looked back at me and froze.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Daniel said, quickly getting up to check on her.

She gently pushed him off and continued looking at me. Everyone looked in my direction, half of them shocked to see me, except my mother and those I had come in with.

I walked towards them and began greeting them. When I got to Daniel, he simply looked me up and down before looking down at his phone that was already in his hand. I rolled my eyes.

I walked up to Amanda. I opened my arms for a hug and she just stood there, staring at me. Her arms were crossed over her chest as if she was protecting herself from me. I dropped my arms with a sigh and stared at her, waiting for her to make the move since she clearly was not going for mine.

Amanda's POV

I saw a figure leaning against the wall by the entrance to the dining area. I quickly looked at it and all the colour drained from my face. I knew it could not been Daniel because of the eye colour but to make sure I had seen the right person I quickly looked to where Daniel was last seated and he was still there. I looked at the entrance against to see him still leaning against the wall.

I froze and stared into his eyes. Nicolas stared back at me. He did not move and neither did I. We had a staring contest and I was determined to win. I folded my arms over my chest, not caring that everybody was waiting for me to continue my part of the game.

"Baby, what's wrong?" I heard Daniel say as he got up walking towards me.

He tried to put his arms around me but I gently pushed him off me, not once taking my eyes off Nicolas. I saw the shock on his face from the side of my eye before he turned to stare at what I was staring at. His expression immediately hardened and he sat back down in his seat.

By now everybody was looking in Nicolas' direction. A few of the faces were shocked to see him standing there. His mother looked at him like she had known all along that he was going to be there.

I looked back at Nicolas to see him walking into the area, greeting everyone he had not come in with. My eyes stayed glued on him. Like he would disappear if I removed them for a second.

Everybody, except Daniel, was evidently happy to see him. When Nicolas tried to greet Daniel, he just gave him a once over before going back to his phone which earned him an eye roll from Nicolas.

He came up to me with his arms open and my heart skipped a beat. His scent hit my nose and I nearly caved. I remembered it from all those years ago. It smelt a bit different from when I the smell last hit my nose but I could easily tell that he used the same cologne.

For a second I considered stepping into his arms but I told myself not to. I looked at him straight in the eyes, trying to hide my emotions as best as I could.

Nicolas sighed and dropped his hands to his sides. I rolled my eyes and stared at him a few seconds more. I stepped around him and tried walking past him. He held my wrist preventing me from walking away. I did not turn back, instead I shrugged him off and continued walking away.

"Leave her alone."

That was the last thing I heard before I went to the third floor of the Walker household.

When I got to the top floor, I made my way to their cinema. I needed a place to think and I knew Daniel was going to look for me in his room once they allowed him to follow me. I just wanted to lie down peacefully with no disturbances.