chapter ix

Nicolas' POV

"Aleja, hurry up we're going to be late." I said getting irritated.

I had been waiting for her to finish getting ready for the past hour. She had been in the bathroom for a while and we were running late for the function that we all had to attend at my father's company.

I had gotten dressed a while ago and now I was just sitting on the bed waiting for Aleja to get done. I rolled my eyes and got up to walk towards the bathroom.

My phone rang, the ring cutting through the silence around me. I sighed and picked it up. It was father calling. I answered after the second ring.

"Nicolas hello?"

"Nicolas. Where are you?" He hissed into the phone. Loud enough for me to hear, but he was too low so I assumed that the function had begun.

"We're on our way dad. Aleja is still busy getting dressed." I said.

"Leave her in the house. How will it look if I announce this and not all of my children are by my side? It's not a must for her to be here."

I scoffed. "How will it look if the pregnant wife of your only married child isn't by his side when you announce whatever it is that you have to announce?" I said, knowing that he was getting irritated with me at that point.

"Just get here. I can hold off the announcement for a few more minutes, an hour at the most." I huffed, "you better be here." He hung up.

I knocked on the bathroom door waiting for Aleja to answer. When she didn't answer, I cautiously opened the door because I did not know how far she was from the door.

She was sitting on the bathtub, tears rolling down her face. I quickly rushed to her side, cradling her stomach in my hands.

"What's wrong?" I asked, seriously concerned.

"I-i-i am in so much pain Nic. I don't know what's going on." She said, she tried to get up but she nearly fell on the ground.

I held her in my arms and helped her to the bedroom, I lay her on the bed. "Why didn't you call out for me?" I asked.

"I wanted to but I was having trouble breathing. I wanted to focus on that first."

I began panicking because she seemed like she was having really a hard time breathing. I called my father, there was no answer. I called my mother, there was no answer. I called Angel, Armani and Aurora and none of them answered either.

I took a deep breath and dialed Daniel's number praying that he would answer. After a few rings, a soft hello came from the other end.

"Hi, who's this?" I asked.

"It's Amanda. Daniel is busy at the moment." She said, her voice getting softer at the end of the sentence as if she had just realised who she was talking to.

"Is there no way that you can get the phone to him?" I asked with urgency in my voice. I hoped that she would hear it, seeing how desperate I am.

"Hold on." She paused for a little while. I assumed she was looking for Daniel, "he's not in the room." She said to me after a few seconds of silence.

"Can you get to my father or mother? Anyone in the family for that matter?"

Again, she went silent on the other end. "I see your mother, hold on." She said.

After a series of 'excuse me's' from her, I finally heard her talking to my mother. I heard her sigh before I heard a shuffle in my ear.

Aleja let out a groan of pain. I looked down at her and she seemed paler than she was a few seconds ago.