Zorian & Anya

30 Celeste of the year 13006

Zorian's Pov

"Wake up," Lady Holly yanks the covers off of my body. No! It's too early. I try to grab the covers, but they aren't on the bed.

"No..."

"Zorian! Get up. You have work to do." Lady Holly shakes my shoulder. I roll over and look up at Lady Holly. Lady Holly's expression tells me I have to get up. 

"Alright, I'm getting up."

"Good. I brought you breakfast." 

I get up and pull on a shirt I left out last night. Lady Holly waits as I eat. I drag this out as long as possible so my mind can wake up. Not that it will.

On our way back from Vespera, Everest and I talked about who I would shadow. Lady Holly ended up being the best choice. She has experience in healing, and that's all I can do to get away from Korbin.

After I finish eating, I quickly change. I make sure I put on boots and loose clothes. I learned from yesterday. I had worn nice-ish clothes—a big mistake. 

Outside my room, Holly taps her foot. Spirits, so impatient. It didn't take that long. "Where to first?"

"The market, I'm out of Echinacea..."

"That's used for pain, right?"

"It is," Lady Holly smiles. "It's commonly used to treat colds and in healing to lessen pain."

We begin walking. 

Along the way, we pass other court members. They smile and wave at Lady Holly. Most frown in my general direction and others give a short wave or a curt nod. The court members who are not in the inner court resent me for being the son of Korbin. I would, too. I do. 

When I came to Vanora, I wanted a clean slate. I even dropped my last name. I'm just Zorian. Not Zorian Korbinion. It's a shame others don't see me for who I am, not for who my parents are. Or who they were supposed to be—such a shame.

"What else is echinacea used for?"

I'm genuinely curious. It's been so long since I've had the opportunity to learn. Korbin never taught me, and Mother was usually with her ladies. The Tudor I had only covered the basics and focused heavily on war. That was due to Korbin's influence. And the 20-year war.

"The root and upper parts are used in tea. People drink the tea to relax and calm their nerves if they are stressed or anxious." Lady Holly explains. She goes in-depth about Lady Ella and how she drinks the tea before she has to present ideas to large crowds. 

At the market, we head for the herbalists. Lady Holly mentions they should have what she's looking for. As we enter, the shopkeeper walks up to Lady Holly and whispers in her ear. I get a sense she doesn't want me in here. 

Lady Holly does, too. The High Healer huffs takes me by the arm, and leaves.

"You didn't have to do that. I could have stood outside,"

"What's the point of shadowing me if you stand outside? You have to learn by doing things yourself." 

We walk through five other shops before one finally has the decency to let us shop. The other shopkeepers don't care that Lady Holly is a high-ranking official in Everest's court. They all had the same reaction. One even threw a bucket at my head. Lady Holly nearly went back and yelled at him.

One thing is for sure: we were emotionally exhausted by the time we got back to the castle. It's barely noon. Spirits, today is going to be long.
_____