Chapter Nine

(POV: Virgil)

Janus came back into the room a few hours later. I was curled up onto the bed, loose tears tracking down my face.

Everything has been happening so fast lately, and I don't know what to do. Either I believe the possible lies of Janus, or I go back home and risk him being right. I'm so conflicted and overwhelmed.

When Janus saw me, he wordlessly took a spot next to me. He was trying to comfort me, I could tell. His hand slithered onto mine, making me gasp in shock. "There there, Virgil. I know what I said cuts deep, but it's true. The others are tired of you. But we missed you so much. You wouldn't be so heartless as to leave the ones that love you, right?"

I took a big breath, letting it out slowly. "N-No...I wouldn't."

"Would you like to go on a walk and get some fresh air?" Janus asked soothingly. "You don't have to if you don't want to."

I wiped my tears away with the sleeve of my hoodie and nodded my head.

The man took my hand and helped me up to my feet. He guided me toward my door as I stumbled after him. Janus snapped and the lock on the door clicked. The door swung open and we stepped through. Instead of walking out into the hallway, we appeared outside the house in a small garden.

"D-Did you make all of this? I... I don't remember it being here."

"Once the barrier was destroyed, I found that I had some time to do the things that I enjoyed. It turns out that I have quite the knack for planting," Janus chuckled. "Feel free to look around. It's not much."

I wandered along the rows of flowers and herbs, smelling the sweet aroma. I brushed my hands along the rosemary and lavender, before heading toward the center.

Roses, gardenias, hibiscus, and hyacinths bloomed around a stone fountain. A bench was placed beside it with ivy growing along its edges. I knelt down and gazed at a single purple rose that was tucked in between a collection of daisies and poppies.

"It reminded me of you," Janus said behind me.

I smiled and looked up at him. "Thank you for taking me here. It's beautiful."

"It's yours."

My eyes widened in surprise. "What? I thought that you had made this place for-"

"It's yours," he repeated with a wide grin. "You can come here anytime you want."

I felt my eyes brimming with tears as I spun around to view the garden again. I couldn't believe this.

"Why are you doing this? After everything that I did, why are you being nice to me?" I wondered.

Janus sighed and pulled me over to him. "Because you deserve so much more in life. You deserve to be happy, Virgil."

The man wrapped his arms around me and gave me a hug. I didn't realize how much I needed comfort until now.

I hugged him back and leaned into his shoulder. "Thank you, Janus," I said, trying to hold back my tears.

"It's okay to cry," he whispered in my ear. "Everything is going to be okay."

After that, I let my tears flow down my cheeks. I was speechless but at the same time, so torn.

Was Janus really right? The Light Sides never did this for me. Was I really never wanted there after all? My thoughts were only making me feel worse.

"Something wrong, Virgil?"

"I-I'm just so conflicted. I mean, not to be rude, but I didn't really believe you much before. But after seeing this...I guess you really weren't lying."

Janus hummed a light chuckle. He sat me upon the ivy-lined bench, wiping my tears with his thumb.

"I'm not always a liar, Virge. And I mean this when I say, we missed you," He paused, "I missed you."

I just nodded, a smile forcing itself on my face. "Take it from me, Virgil, you're stronger than a Light Side. You have so much power that the others are restricting. Here, you can finally feel like your real self!"

"My real self?" I repeated absentmindedly. Janus' lips constricted into a smile. He pushed my chin to face him, my eyes getting lost in his.

"Face it, Virgil. The Light Sides abused you, yelled at you, limited you, hated you. That's no place for someone as wise as you. You belong with us. You belong in the darkness!"

"I belong with you..." I shook my head, breaking out of whatever trance I was in. My hand met my temple, rubbing it gently. "I just...I don't know, Janus. Sure they were all those things for a while, but they were trying to get better. I know they can be better-!"

"But when will that happen?" He remarked. "Cause, to me, it isn't happening anytime soon." Janus put his hands behind his back, staring out into his garden.

My hands cupped my face in exhaustion and worry. Everything feels like it's falling apart, but when I look around, I realize it's all in my head.

"Janus?" I meekly spoke. He looked at me, his yellow eye striking fear into my heart. "I-I'll stay with you."

"Wonderful, Virgil!" He said with a monotone cheer. "I knew you'd come around. Don't worry. Sooner or later, you'll forget all about Roman, Logan, and Patton. They'll be nothing to you, just like they are to us."

My stomach fell at his words while my heart rate increased. He extended his hand to which I took.

Walking away from the garden, I took a deep breath. If the Light Sides really don't want me, then I'll stay here.

But if they come for me, I won't hesitate to leave.