Chapter Five

(POV: Virgil)

My body twitched ever so slightly as my mind started to awaken. Slowly the darkness that once surrounded me faded as my eyes pulled open. Pushing myself up, I noticed the plush surface I was laying under. A bed, something with black sheets and duvet with matching pillows at the head of the frame. It seemed so familiar, but then, it clicked. This was my bed.

My heart pounded rapidly as my gaze shifted through everything else inside the small room. There was a dresser, a small desk piled with old notebooks and sketches. There was no doubt in my mind that this room was the place that held so many damned memories. My old room; never thought I'd come back here again.

Wait. The door.

I rushed over to the door and tried to turn the handle. It was locked. I scanned the room for something that I could use to unlock it.

In the nightstand, I found a pencil and an old notebook that I had never used. I grabbed the pencil and jammed it into the keyhole. After several attempts, the pencil snapped in half.

I screamed in frustration and threw the remains of the pencil at the wall. I felt tears pouring down the sides of my face as I curled up next to the door.

It was useless. I was useless. I couldn't even open a door. The other sides didn't want to have anything to do with me.

My quiet sobs quickly became violent shivers. I felt my heart beating faster and I clutched my head trying to block out the thoughts that were appearing.

"No, no, no!" I yelled at myself. "You're going to be fine!"

My words were swallowed by the darkness in my mind. It was choking me, making each breath sharp and painful.

I clawed at the ground as my vision became blurry. I had to calm down. I couldn't let my fear control me.

Deep breath in and out, I instructed myself, still choking on my tears.

After two breaths, I sputtered and felt my anxiety scratching at my chest. I wasn't going to stop now. I had to fight it.

One two three four, I counted while breathing in.

One two three four five six seven, I counted as I held my breath.

One two three four five six seven eight, I breathed out.

I repeated this multiple times before my heart rate finally returned to normal. I was going to be okay.

I took one final breath out, rubbing my hands over my face. As I did, the door clicked open, making me jolt in sudden fear. I looked over to the door, seeing Janus walk inside. Immediately I groaned, putting my head in my lap.

"What are you doing here? Don't you have better things to do?" I grumbled. I didn't have to look up to know Janus was giving me a giant eye roll. He plopped himself next to me on my bed, crossing his legs while he messed with my stiff, old sheets.

"Can I not come in here to check on my old friend?" He hissed.

"We're not friends. Never have been, never will be," I growled, raising my head to meet his strict and sharp eyes.

"I'd change that attitude if I were you. Besides, you'll be here for a long time," Janus admitted. My face fell at his words, something about how he said it making my heart drop.

"What do you mean? M-My friends will come!" I protested.

"I think not," He muttered. "Especially since your 'friends' were the ones to ask us to kidnap you." My ghost-white skin went paler as a thick line of nerves flooded down my neck. "Oh, did you not know? Your friends have been trying to get rid of you for years. As Elden said, you were never wanted, you were simply needed."

Tears started to slowly fall down my face. Janus gave a small smirk, wrapping his arms around me in comfort. I leaned into his touch, really just wanting the physical contact while my heart was snapping in half.

"I know it hurts, Virgie. But it's okay. Us Dark Sides want you. We always have. We've missed you all these years. Remus, Elden, and I will protect you and love you. We were the only people who did before anyway."

Giving Janus another look, I wiped my eyes with the back of my jacket sleeve.

"I'll give you some space," Janus said, heading toward the door. He paused, his hand lingering on the door handle. "And, Virgil? I'll be here if you ever decide to come back. We all will."

The door shut softly and I listened to the sound of the deceptive trait heading down the stairs. The sound of his boots was almost comforting in a way.

If the other sides had really let them free, there was no reason for me to stay with them any longer. I would stay with the Dark Sides for now. The others would be happier that way.

I wiped away the last stray tears and stood up.

It was time for me to say goodbye.