She paused, turning to look at Mikel who had a look of both indecisiveness and concern in his face, the full force of her glare now turned on him.

“You cannot kill him, he is telling the truth.”

The world blanked for a second, then Astra regained her bearing. “Are you in this conspiracy with him Mikel?”

“Think about it,” Mikel pushed insistently. “It is true he has betrayed his church but don’t you think the Prelate already knew that? Would she really have sent us with him if she believed he wasn’t telling the truth? If you kill him now, then just like him, you would have betrayed your church. This is a stark contrast to what we’re supposed to be doing; helping him.”

“He is No Blessed,” Astra insisted, and a light of hatred entered her eyes as she said the words yet Mikel could sense that she did not feel that hatred for Tyrese but for someone else, perhaps a No Blessed she had encountered in the past.

“And Imogen is my Prelate,” she continued, lowering her sword, even though that malicious glint did not leave her eyes. “I have promised to serve her till death. Consider yourself lucky, old man.”

She tucked the sword back into its sheath and held out her hand to Tyrese. “I will go with you, because my Prelate has commanded it but be rest assured, once this journey is done, I will end you.”

Tyrese looked at her face, then her outstretched hand before he slapped it away, kicking Astra’s legs from under her.
The Spartan fell to the ground and in a second, Tyrese had snatched her sword from her, cutting a thin line across her forehead with it.

The Royal Knight locked eyes with her, and the years of his experience was suddenly evident in the cruel way he looked at her. “We shall see about that, Bay-son.”

*

The car felt empty even with the soothing soul music Tyler had put on to replace the silence between them as he drove Praise home. She had been silent ever since leaving Tony’s apartment and Tyler felt uneasy at her silence.

No, uneasy wasn’t the word. He supposed he felt guilty, in the blatant way he’d shown he didn’t trust her.

This afternoon had been an eye opener for him, showing him just what sort of danger Mikel had been thrown into, and the sort of hurdles he would have to overcome to help his brother.

Nuroh was a technological giant, and its founders Sean and Mark of the most influential duos in the country.

Tyler was powerful as well, being the owner of several companies that specialized in commerce and trade, so he wasn’t afraid of the costs that came with finding his brother.

What he was afraid of, was the fact that it would be of no consequence to them to decide they no longer needed his brother and do away with his existence, just like they had disposed of the countless men and women before Mikel.

They had done a good job of making it seem like he had simply disappeared one day, and Tyler shuddered to think of how ignorant he would have been if he hadn’t bumped into Praise. It was imperative he tread carefully, if he wanted any chance of seeing Mikel again.

“I’m sorry,” he murmured, his voice clear over the music, “for how I treated at you at Creole’s place. I admit what happened this afternoon made me wary of you, and your intentions.”

She did not reply him, still looking out the window, and smoothed over her skirt even though it was not rumpled.

“I saw what happened to Lana, and to Mikel. It made me realize how you’ve placed yourself in danger to help my brother.”