A Funny Misunderstanding

After Astra’s speech, the apprentices were split into two groups based on their sex, and the people inside this two groups were further divided into groups of two and handed over to a second year apprentice who they would share a room with.

While the group members were chosen at random, the second year apprentices were chosen by picking a piece of paper out of a box. This way, the older roommate could either be male or female.

Mikel was paired off with a muscled warrior of a man who was, at the least, friendly. Maybe too friendly.

“I’m Eric, son of the Duke of Virget,” he said, clapping Mikel on the back who nearly jumped in both surprise and pain. Talk about hands of steel, Superman had nothing on Eric.

“I’m Mikel Ark, what’s your faction?” Mikel introduced himself.

“Priest,” Eric said with pride. “I’m the Warlock.”

Mikel managed a smile. “Same. I’m a Druid.”

Eric smiled widely, exposing slightly sharper teeth. “Wow, can I see your tattoos? Bet they’re cool.” He tried to push up the long sleeve of Mikel’s robe.

“Maybe later, l” Mikel said with a nervous laugh, moving away and pulling his clothes tighter around him. “Shouldn’t we find our second year?”

Eric nodded, already distracted. “Sure. I hope ours isn’t stuck up, do you think he’s a priest as well? I'd love if he was a priest.”

“We’ll have to see.”

They pushed through the crowd of other apprentices, moving towards the line of second years who were waiting expectantly for the group of first years they were supposed to manage.

“Excuse me?” Mikel began, stopping in front of them and waving a piece of paper that was torn at the edge. “I’m looking for Victor, Victor Dirk.”

To his surprise, the whole line of second years began laughing loudly. Some fell to their knees, howling in mirth and others covered their mouths and turned away, still laughing.

Mikel wondered what was so funny, and even Eric looked confused.

“So you are my minions.” a small voice said. It was as if the speaker was directly in front of him, but he didn’t see anybody. Something stabbed his leg, and he looked down, to see a tiny, no, a miniscule person standing in front of him.

Eric’s eyes widened, and he chuckled, squatting down. “So you’re Victor?”

This person was distinctly female, with straight black hair that flowed down her back like moving water. It reminded Mikel of a waterfall, one that was made of black rushing liquid.

She turned and glared at Eric. “My name is Victoria, nitwit. Vic-to-ria Dirk.”

She turned regally, flipping her hair and waved at the two men. “Follow me minions.”

Mikel stared, disbelief in his eyes. “Is this for real?”

Eric just laughed, moving forward. “Come on man. We don’t want to upset her highness.”