A Secret Meeting

It was drizzling, a light shower of rain that felt like a multitude of people poking him uncomfortably.

Muttering under his breath, Sean drew his coat tighter around his body, looking furtively across the road. He knew Tyler Ark was actively looking for him now, and so he’d deliberatively parked several blocks away from where he was supposed to meet his informant.

It was almost laughable how Mark had assigned the one man who owed Sean a debt as temporary head of the company. What was more funny was how he’d blocked Sean’s access code, as if that would stop him from accessing the information he needed to. Sean owned Nuroh in more ways than one. Even if he couldn’t be physically present, he still had eyes and ears there.

Shaking off the cold, Sean crossed the road, moving towards a shiny jeep parked on the other side. He knocked on the glass of the passengers’ seat and a second later, the car unlocked with a dull click. Quickly, he opened the door and jumped in, closing it loudly behind him.

“Mr. Bishop,” the man in the drivers’ seat greeted as Sean patted his wet hair down. “Good day.”

Sean looked over at him, barely concealed nonchalance evident in his face as he took in the man’s appearance. Zachariah Abayomi was a mediocre as the first day Sean had met him, and not even the polished clothes he wore, nor the expensive cars he owned had gotten rid of the annoying timidity Zachariah wore like a second skin.

“Did you get what I asked?” Sean’s voice was brusque and to the point, a tone that always commanded results from Zachariah’s inferiority complex.

Nodding hurriedly, Zachariah reached into the backseat, retrieving a briefcase from behind his seat. From the briefcase, he pulled out a single card before handing over to Sean reverentially.

“It took me some time, but I duplicated Mr. Koenig’s key card just as you said.”

Sean nodded, taking the key card and scanning it critically with his eyes. When he was convinced it was legitimate, he pocketed it. “Good job. Has anything been happening in Nuroh since the audio files were released?”

Zachariah hesitated for a second, but his resolve crumbled under Sean’s sharp gaze. “The basement was cleared out yesterday.”

Sean turned to face him, his eyes
searching Zachariah’s face for any lies. “Mark destroyed the equipment for No Blessed?”

“No, no. Everything was transferred, from the transporter to the beast. I couldn’t see the process, because Praise was in charge of everything but when I went down to check last night, the basement was empty.”

“Praise?” Sean asked calmly, visibly surprising Zachariah.

“Y-yes. She has been placed in all matters concerning No Blessed, and her access card has been upgraded as well.”

“I assume you didn’t think this was important enough to tell me when we met last week?”

“I-it didn’t o-occur to me.”

There was silence in the car for the next few minutes, as Sean thought the matter over, and Zachariah cowered in his seat. Abruptly, Sean opened the car door, getting out immediately.

“Mr. Bishop?” Zachariah called after him. “I-I have an umbrella here you could borrow –”

“Keep an eye out in Nuroh for me,” Sean said, slamming the door behind him. As he walked back to his car, he mentally went over his plans carefully.

After Mark had deactivated his access cards, Sean’s next course of action had been to obtain a copy of Mark’s access card and get into Nuroh.

The way he saw it, the only two obstacles stood in his path; Tyler and Praise, obstacles which could be easily removed. For some inane reason, Praise seemed to care greatly for the Volunteer’s children she’d taken under her car, and they would be what he would use to break her. Insisting she take down the audio files was just a ploy to keep her busy while he took care of his other problem, Tyler.