Aaliyah

Staying at the hospital was driving Koenig mad, and with little to do than stay in bed all day, anxiety about his company ate at his mind unrestrained.

Despite all his talk about Tyler Ark not pushing forward with the investigation while he was recuperating, Koenig knew it was only a matter of time before the warrant would be granted and when it was, he needed all evidence of No Blessed gone.

Praise had informed him today would be the day she cleared out the basement, and already most of the staff had been sent home despite it being a work week. Sean had not contacted him since the day he’d released the implicating tapes which Koenig had listened to, his fury rising with each altered conversation.

The Vice President was the last person Koenig had expected betrayal from, but he couldn’t dwell on him now. When this wave had passed, and noise about Nuroh had died down, he would take care of Sean. There were many ways to kill a rat.

The door to his hospital room opened, a fair, feminine face peeking in carefully.  Curly dyed hair flowed past her shoulder, the colour chosen to match her cobalt eyes.

When she saw Koenig sprawled in bed, a concerned smile lit up her face, and she came in, closing the door properly behind her. “Dad!”

“Aaliyah, when did you get back?” Koenig stood up, embracing his daughter in a warm protective hug. “You didn’t even tell me you were in town.”

“If I’d told you I was coming, I know you would have convinced me to stay home. How could you not tell me you weren’t feeling well? I almost had a heart attack myself when I heard it, and on TV no less.” Aaliyah pouted playfully at Koenig before taking a seat beside his bed. “I flew here as soon as I could.”

“How’s Jon? Treating you well?”

Aaliyah took her father’s hand, laughing lightly. “Why do you always ask me that? Jon’s a wonderful man dad, admit it already. He even agreed to look after the kids while I came to see you.”

“As he should.” Koenig patted her hand warmly, a small smile lifting his lips. “It’s been so long since you came to visit, I almost forgot what you looked like.”

Snorting under her breath, Aaliyah turned to the bag she’d brought with her, bringing out a small lunch box. “We FaceTime every other week dad, my face is not that common. Here, I stopped over at the house and made you some lunch. You must be tired of hospital food.”

She opened the lunch box, and the smell of freshly cooked rice wafted into the air enticingly. While Koenig ate, she busied herself showing him pictures of her children, easy conversation flowing between two of them.

That afternoon, Koenig forgot he was a criminal, he forgot the hundreds he’d sent to their death. He only remembered he was a father, and that he had family.

*

“If you don’t let me go with you, I’m telling Praise.”

Although Aaron had seen the threat coming, it still annoyed him how adamant Zoe could be, demanding she come with him. He looked at his sister testily, noting the superior look in her eyes as she stared at him. They both knew he didn’t want Praise finding out that he was meeting the person who had texted him, and to avoid that, he would let Zoe tag along.

“Fine,” Aaron said, pushing out the singular word through gritted teeth. “Come on.”

She’d cornered him the minute he’d gone out the gate, after he made up an excuse to the body guards Tyler had posted all over the estate and for such a whiny brat, Aaron had to admit she could be manipulative when she put in the effort.