Imogen

Imogen looked up from her papers as one of the teachers left her office and gazed at a particular dark spot in the room with her eyebrows raised.

“I know you’re there,” she deadpanned and lifted a dagger out of nowhere. “Come into the light where I can see you and you better do it quickly, my aim is said to be perfect.”

Tyrese stepped into the thin glare of the sun in all his battered and bruised glory and Imogen dropped her dagger.

“Tyrese!” she said in shock and rushed to him, her fingers brushing his face tenderly, wincing where Tyrese shied away from her.

“Imogen,” he said with a smile that didn’t reach his eyes. “I see you’ve been well.”

“What happened Tyrese? Why are you alone?” Imogen questioned as Tyrese seated himself with a sigh, watching him carefully.

“Is your office secure?” he asked, rubbing a hand down his face.

“Yes,” Imogen nodded immediately.

“However, feel free to bind it if it makes you feel safer.”

“Thank you,” Tyrese said as he drew some symbols in the air while muttering words under his breath.

This made the room soundproof, and no outside ear could hear their conversation.

“What brings you here?” Imogen asked as she felt Tyrese’s forehead with her fingers. “You’re running a temperature.”

“Imogen, I get the big sister protective instincts and all, but sit down, I need to talk to you,” Tyrese ordered and although Imogen frowned, she sat down as he had said.

“The land is in danger,” Tyrese began wearily, rubbing at the black bags under his eyes. “The King has begun to dabble in blood magic, and his heart is no longer pure.”

“Blood magic?” Imogen repeated, and her fingers twitched shakily at the news. “But that is a forbidden technique. Blood magic is taboo by the laws of the gods and goddesses.”

“I know that. The Royal Elders are no more after refusing to support the King and the other Knights are too scared to go against him after he exterminated the Council,” Tyrese sighed. “ When I spoke against his actions, he ordered my death.”

The last words hit Imogen like a physical blow and she stood, hands
fisted at her side. “What did you just say?”

“I am No Blessed,” Tyrese said easily as if it was nothing at all. Moving forward, Imogen swiftly punched Tyrese across the face, her knuckles stinging.

The former Royal Knight did not even flinch.

“You have gotten stronger Imogen,” he complimented and tapped his cheek, where a faint imprint of her knuckles shone. “I actually felt more than just a pinch.”

“Why did you not just let the King kill you then?” Imogen said in exasperation, her shoulders quavering. “Do you even comprehend what it means to be No Blessed?”

Tyler gave a short laugh. “I certainly hope so, I didn’t spend two years in the Church of Elador for nothing.”

Imogen glared and collapsed into her chair, suddenly wearily from all she had heard. “Tell me why you are really here brother, you did not travel all this way to tell me you are now rogue, it would have reached me anyway.”

Tyrese’s face suddenly turned grave. “No at all. I came to you seeking assistance.”

He leaned forward and Imogen glimpsed the warrior her brother was, the fighter who had taken on Behemoths and Goliaths and won.