Lana Pt. 1

The torches flickered inside the healing room but Thelma barely noticed as she studiously did her paperwork, going over the records of the injured and dead so far.

After Ramah, there had been few other deaths with one student dying of severe Gar poisoning. Surprisingly, this set of apprentices were resilient, far less were dying than she had expected.

Thelma’s quill stopped as she sensed someone else in the room with her. He was here.

It was an uncanny ability she had, to be able to sense each time that the Pure One was near her, and now she was getting that warm tingly feeling that spread over her skin whenever he graced her with his presence.

Thelma got up from her chair and turned, her eyes going wide as they met with the regal form of the King. He came closer to her, a warm smile on his face.

She bowed immediately, her eyes facing the floor. “Your Majesty. What brings the Pure One here?”

The King placed his hand under Thelma’s jaw and raised her head so he could look into her eyes. “Come now Thelma, is that any way for a wife to talk to her husband?”

He kissed her softly, their lips meeting in a brief chaste kiss.

“I-I did not expect you,” Thelma stammered, an uncharacteristic trait for her. It was only he who could do this to her, turn her knees to jelly and make her lose her confidence. Only the King, her beloved.

“Did you do as I asked?” The King asked her, breaking into Thelma’s line of thought.

Thelma nodded, regretfully pulling herself out of his hold. “Yes. I’ve been monitoring Astra Bay-son as you said and became his confidante but I have also encountered something else interesting.”

“Hmm?” The King looked at her as an idle smile graced his lips. “Yet another?”

“Yes. They have sent another Outsider, a male this time. His name is Mikel Ark and he was reincarnated as a Druid. I had the opportunity of looking into his mind and Mikel was given the same task as the others – to destroy our world.”

The King laughed, a malicious sound that betrayed his inner decay but all Thelma could see was the man she had fallen in love with.

“I presume he is not in the church premises?”

No,” Thelma shook her head “He was selected alongside Astra Bay-son to accompany the rogue Royal Knight on a confidential mission of which I have no knowledge of. I am sorry my King.”

The King brushed his hand tenderly against Thelma’s cheek.

“Do not say that. On the contrary, you have served me well.”

He moved away as Thelma smiled, her eyes clearly reflecting her love for him. In his mind, the King looked at her with derision, as one might regard a love sick pup.

Thelma was one of the many tools he used to monitor the flow of Outsiders into this world. Like her, there were several women, each in a different church,  he had fooled with his ‘love’ into spying on their churches for him, women who all thought they were the ones who had captured the King’s heart.

He returned her smile, replicating the love she adored him with, keeping up the guise he had employed to utilize her in his plans. He might need her still.

“Does anyone else know about this my love?” he asked.

“None. I have made sure to keep this secret. After all it was my King who commissioned me. I cannot afford to be careless,” Thelma replied with a small bow and a tremble the King did not miss.