Chapter - Forty-four.

This song has absolutely no connection with the chapter.

Darshan.

Nishita traced her fingers around my waist, still asleep. I smiled and pushed her now grown long bangs behind her ear. I placed my hand on her cheek and brushed my knuckles gently against it. I felt the urge to pinch the bridge of her nose, and I had no idea why.

Somehow, I managed to get up — out of Nishita’s grip and made my way to the bathroom. I made myself a cup of nice and warm coffee and wrote a note —

‘Nishi,

Good morning. Stop worrying. I have not disappeared and no one has kidnapped me. Calm down.

I forgot to mention last night that I had to perform a show today. So here I am — all packed and writing a note to you. I know I could have just dropped down a text to you, instead of writing this letter; but there are some special messages that text messages can’t deliver.

No. I have not ran away from you, because of what happened between us, the previous night. I don’t want to talk about it as of now, because I have a heck lot of things on my mind. And I promise to get rid off it, real soon. Please, don’t ask me questions.

I just wanted you to know that — whatever happened between the two of us, last night; wasn’t just ‘whatever’. And trust me, it was beautiful. I am unsure of my feelings, right now. But know that, I am and I will always be with you. I have no idea why am I writing this, but I just want you to know all these.

I just want you to know that I — feel something for you. I care about you. I do not want to lose you, at any cost.

I am going to lock the door from out, because you are sleeping and unlock it with the spare keys, if you go out.

Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine. Take care of yourself. You’re precious.

-D. R.

I finished writing the letter and stuck it on the fridge with a magnet. I hung my bag on my shoulder, locked the door and stepped out of my apartment.

*

I clapped my hands as I got into Hardil’s car.

“By looking at your face, I’m assuming last night went well,” he smirked, working his hands on the steering wheel. “Shut up”, I said. “I want details”, his smirk grew. “What do you mean by details?”, I acted dumb. “Oh please, look at you! You look so happy and cheerful, I know what those reactions mean, okay?”, he said. “Now if you mind or don’t mind, spill the tea”, he added.

“Fine, fine,” I surrendered, “We got a bit heated up last night”, I said, looking elsewhere. “A bit?! Firstly — I don’t believe you. Secondly — considering what you are wearing — I can tell you guys did the nasty”, he said. I totally ignored him and played songs.

I looked at my clothes and asked him, “What’s wrong with what I have worn?”. “You’re wearing full sleeve shirt without rolling it, that means something is definitely fishy,” he said, with full concentration, while driving.

“Oh please, there weren’t any—”, I instantly realized what I said, and regretted about finishing the sentence, almost. “Ahaa! Got caught”, Hardil smirked, teasingly. “Shut up! Just shut up, okay?!”, I told him. I was — I believe — tomato red, by now.

“You’re blushing so hard, your neck has turned all red”, he told me. I rubbed the back of my neck. I threw my head back on the seat and a worried look was plastered over Hardil’s face. “Mate…”, he called me out, “are you alright, there?”. “I don’t know...”, I shut my eyes, “I don’t know, Hardil… I really don’t know”.

“Do you regret doing it?”, he said, emphasizing the word, ‘it’.  “I… don’t know”, I said. “Do you like her?”, he asked. “I don’t know that, either”, I replied. “Does she like you?”, he asked again. “Stop repeating these questions, you asked me the same questions the previous day too. Nothing changes in one night, do you understand?”, I barked at him.

“Calm your balls, mate. This is my car, not your house”, he sternly said. “I’ll ask you once again — how much do you like her?”, he added. “A lot,” I replied. “How good was the sex?”, he asked. “It was amazing, she was super —”, I heard Hardil laugh and I realized what I said. Shit on a stick.

“What? No! No-no-no-no!”, I said. But ignoring me Hardil proceeded to laugh. “You son of a —”, he cut me off, “Aand we are here, you can’t harm me, now! Yo, Naushad bhai! Overe here!”, he hopped out of his car as we reached the airport. “Bitch”, I muttered, completing my sentence.

*

It had been over two hours since I left home but Nishi hadn’t called or even texted me, yet. I continuously stomped my feet on the floor and continued to irritate Hardil as neither me nor he were listening to what Naushad bhai was telling to our team.

I was done with performing the concert as well, but Nishita had not shown any sign of reply to me, anyhow. I was so worried but she wouldn’t answer my calls, too.

I decided to ring her for the last time. I held my phone close to my right ear and heard the rings. One ring… no answer. Second ring… no answer. Third ring, fourth ring still no answer. And on the fifth ring, she answered the call.

“Hello?”, I worriedly asked, “Nishita, you there?”. Concern could be clearly heard in my voice. “Nishita, are you alright? Talk to me,” I pressed on and then heard her cries.

“Darshan…”, she moaned as she cried. “What happened?”, I questioned. And then she told me what exactly had happened. “Are you— are you sure?”, my voice suddenly broke. “You think this is something to joke about?!”, she screamed loudly and cried more. “I’m so sorry, I’m coming, back. Right now,” I told her. “Hm”, she softly said.

“Darshan…”

“Nishi…”

“Darshan — listen — to — me — please—”, she cried.

“Shh, I’m right here, Nishi”, I assured, “Tell me what do you want?”.

“Please come back as soon as possible, I need you,” she pleaded. With a soft nod, I turned to Naushad bhai who was right behind me, “I need to go,” I told him. Without asking me a further question, he nodded.

“I have told Naushad bhai, he will make the arrangements. I’ll be back before midnight, trust me. Don’t do anything to yourself and… and stay with Nishtha, please”, I told her.

“I need you,” she said.

“I know,” I said, “I— do too”.

“I want you”, she told me.

“Me too,” I told her, “I have to go now. I’ll call you within a few minutes, take care of yourself,”

“I will but… promise me something,” her voice broke more, “You’ll never leave me alone,”.

“I will never leave you alone, Nishi. That’s a promise.” I swore.

“Can you — stay on the call — please just some more minutes — please… stay…”, she hiccuped and then stopped talking. “Nishita… Nishita! Oh my god, no no no! Don’t fall unconscious over the phone, please. I beg you!”, my heart pounded hard but she didn’t say a word.

I quickly cut the call and rang up Nishtha, but she didn’t answer. But I couldn’t call her parents, either.

Well, shit, because I’m fucked up!