Chapter - Twenty-Five.

[Nishita]

23rd December, 2019.

“Is everything ready, Nishu beta? Darshan’s family has already reached. You need to walk down the—”, Ma stopped talking as her eyes fell on me. I smiled as I stood up.

I was wearing my bridal lehenga, with all that makeup on my face, mehendi left a dark brown colour on my hands. “Ma”, I asked, “how do I look?”. She looked awestruck. “Ma!”, I called her, again. She took steps towards me and her hand rested on my shoulder caressing my cheeks.

“Beautifully stunning”, she complimented and I blushed. Soon Bhabhi, Papa along with Dii and Jiju came. “Whoa! Someone’s looking hot!”, Dii said. And I rolled my eyes. Nudging her with my elbow as she stood next to me.

“Since Nishu is ready we should start the preparations. Come everyone, Kartik beta”, Papa told everyone as they left and in came Nabiha and Khushi. Looking absolutely gorgeous.

“Darshan won’t be able to take his eyes off you, woman”, they teased. “Oh shut it!”, I said. Soon after we were gossipping a little Nitya Bhabhi and Nishtha Dii came to take me.

I was being taken by four my sister, sister-in-law and two of my best friends. But someone, was still missing. Anita. I walked down the stairs and saw Darshan sitting in the ‘mandap’. He blinked and smiled at me.

I was then too close to reach out for the ‘mandap’ when Darshan’s mom— my mother-in-law came to take me with her. She made me sit next to Darshan as the Priest began to chant the holy mantras.

*

It took all the wedding rituals long enough to finally come to an end. And I was starving badly! Ma had fed me a sandwich but because of nervousness, I digested it. And my nose caught the amazing fragrance of Biryani that lingered on people. And that made my stomach growl.

Darshan let out a soft chuckle as we were eating and he heard my stomach growl. I smacked his leg with my heels and he winced in pain. He glared and then smirked at me which meant trouble.

We were even done with the dinner. And the ‘Vidayi’ too was over. But, there was no sign of Anita to show up. I sat in Darshan’s car with my in-laws meaning my father-in-law, mother-in-law and my husband.

It was Darshan who drove the car and Mom sat next to me. She patted on my shoulder as we reached at Darshan’s place. Well, now mine too. Thankfully, his family weren’t a big follower of rituals and shit unlike mine.

They let me and my suitcases in. Tired of performing all the wedding rituals, we jumped on the bed. He rolled over to my side and said, “I’m gonna sleep in the centre of the bed”. My mouth dropped at that.

“No”, I said. “Why not?”, he asked, brows raised. “Because, I’ll be sleeping on the right side. And I cannot sleep on any other side but this”, I said. “Ugh”, I heard him say. Darshan grabbed a pillow and buried his face in it.

“Darshan”, I called out. He did not responded. “Darsh!”, I said. “Mhm, what is it?! Yaar”, he nagged, “is it how it all is going to be with you?”. I pinched him and he winced in pain but later on he chuckled.

“What were you saying?”, he asked. “She didn’t came”, I said. With me saying that, we both fell silent. Darshan took out his phone out of his pocket and did something with it. Next, he held his phone near his ears.

Seconds later, he dropped his phone. “She’s not answering my calls”, he shrugged. I looked down. “You should change your clothes”, he suggested. I nodded and took out a loose tank top and my shorts.

I headed for the washroom and changed my clothes. I removed all the makeup I had on my face. And stepped out of the bathroom. As I came out, I realized Darshan was sleeping on his belly with his face buried in the pillow. He only wore his boxers and nothin else.

I grabbed my phone from my purse, and saw Ma was calling me. I answered it. “Hello?”, I asked. “Hello, Nishu?”, I heard her voice. “Ji, Ma”, I said. “I disturbed you?”, she asked. “No Ma, it’s alright. My phone was on silent and Darshan is sleeping so he must not have heard anything”, I told her.

“When did you reach?”, she asked. “Um… twenty to thirty minutes?”, I said, unsure. “He slept that early?”, her voice now seemed curious. What else do you expect him to do? “Yeah, he must be tired”, I said. “Oh”, she said.

Oh.

Oh?

This meant trouble.

“You are telling them what I’ve told you to, aren’t you?”, she asked. Shit. “Yes, Ma”, I said. “Good”, she said, “okay, goodnight. You must be tired. Now sleep”. “Yes, Ma”, I said and he hung up.

Tomorrow’s gonna be one hell of a day for me, ugh!’, I thought to myself.

Author’s Note: Hello, beautiful people! ✨ I know I was supposed post this chapter two days ago, but I didn’t and waited for today. Today (22• 04• 2020) completes the first anniversary of the first ever fanfiction written by me which is ‘Saajna’ [I call it my baby, though]. So you have guessed it, that today’s a very special date for me as well as an emotional one, haha ;). Anyways, stay safe lovelies. We all will get through this global pandemic, together. Insha’Allah. Have faith in your Almighty, pray, stay healthy.

And oh, I love you!