Chapter - Twenty-seven.

Nishita.

I kept on tossing and turning to my right side from my left, but couldn’t sleep the following night. It was pretty much hard to sleep as a young and charming man in his mid 20’s was sleeping peacefully, that too right next to me on my wedding night, as my husband.

Even though Darshan had assured me that everything was going to be okay and no one was going it push me to do anything, but being the overthinker that I was — I just couldn’t get the thought of quitting my job — off my mind.

I cried silently, making sure he didn’t hear. I sobbed for like ten to fifteen minutes or so and then started fidgeting with my phone. After half an hour something, I fell asleep. Completely unaware of the things that were to happen the next day.

*

The sun shining brightly – was all that I saw through Darshan’s— our bedroom’s window. I put my hand on my face to cover my eyes and looked for my phone. 10: 17 the lockscreen showed. Shit. I thought everyone would have woken up, by now. I turned to my left and tried waking Darshan up.

“Darshan”, I called, “Darshan, get up! Get up quick, come on yaar Darsh! Wake up”. Suddenly, with a jolt he grabbed me by wrists and pinned me down on the bed. He was over me by now. “What the hell?!”, he almost shouted. “I— er, you’re hurting me and my back— I’ve back pain, please leave me”, I struggled. “Shit, sorry”, he said.

“What in the name of hell were you thinking?”, I asked. “I get too irritated when someone wakes me up from sleep and if they wake me when I had a rough night, they’re dead. Consider yourself lucky”, he explained, opening the closest drawer to bring a packet of cigarettes.

He pulled one out of the box and lit the lighter. With one drag in, he said, “Nice view, perhaps?”. He was shirtless, with his hair ruffled and now smoking. I wasn’t thinking about it that way but I surely couldn’t get it out of my head now.

I blushed and he chuckled. “By the way”, he puffed out smoke, “why the hell did you wake me up at ten in the morning?!”. “What do you mean? Aren’t your parents up, by now?”, I asked. “No one is going to wake up before eleven, calm down”, he said, putting the cigarette in the ashtray.

I thought his parents would be up long by now, I didn’t know this so don’t judge me, I got married last night only! “Oh”, I said. “Hm”, said Darshan, falling on the bed. “So what now?”, I asked, lying next to him. “I don’t know”, he shrugged, scrolling through his some social media feed.

“I’m so hungry, ugh!”, I exclaimed. “Me too, go make me something”, he ordered. I gave him a look. “What?”, he asked. “I’m not your slave!”, I said. Huh! “Sorry, forgive me. Can you please make me something delicious to eat? Please, wife?”, he said, emphasizing the word wife.

I huffed. “Acha, come I’ll teach you how to make coffee. Come, come, come fast!”, he said, getting off the bed. My jaw dropped on floor. “What?”, he said. “We haven’t even brushed our teeth”, I said. “So?”, he rose a brow. So?

“One doesn’t need to brush their teeth before drinking coffee. Anyways, coffee hits different with unbrushed teeth. So you better hurry up now!”, he said, grabbing my elbow and dragging me to the kitchen. “Ewugh, Darshan!”. He let out a soft laugh. He looked like he was too happy, I couldn’t be the reason!

Darshan watched my every movement as I made coffee following his direction. “Concentrate here, you’re thinking something”, he snapped me out of my thoughts, “What are you thinking?”. “You look far too happy… cheerful, why so?”, I asked, head hung low as I stirred the mixture of milk and sugar.

“I try to be happy after I have rough nights”, he said. “Meaning?”, I asked, adding half a tablespoon coffee powder. “Nightmares”, he said. Oh. “Like what kind of—”, I was cut off by him, “Careful, don’t add too much powder”. “My awful nightmares are a story for some other time not now. And it’s ready!”, he told.

I took a sip. It was warm. It was sweet. But it lacked something. “Mhm, it’s nice. You’ve done well”, he praised. “Let’s say, you’ve taught me well?”, I said. He laughed and patted on his shoulder.

“Tell me about your nightmares”, I demanded. “Why?”, he gave me a stern look. “I want to know”, I said. “Why?”, he asked, this time his voice little low. “Just like that”, I shrugged. “I’ll tell you some other day. It’s something I will get annoyed by and I just want to be happy, as of now”, he said, cutting down my expectations.

“Why?”, I asked and received a flat glare from him. “Fine”, I muttered, beneath my breath. He passed me a smile. We finished drinking our coffees and went back to the room. I was about to step into the washroom to take a bath when he stopped me.

“Listen, Nishi”, he said, making me turn, “don’t you worry. My parents will understand. They won’t pressurise you and I’m by your side, okay?”. His words had me smiling. I slowly nodded and said, “Thank you”, and he passed me his usual cute smile.

“Hey, hey, listen, listen!”, he called out again, “now you can’t say that drinking coffee with your teeth unbrushed, is bad. Because you have tasted it yourself and you know it’s delicious.”, he winked and I blushed. To hide me blush, I slapped my forehead and he burst out laughing. Stupid!

So sorry I disappeared for ten days. I was busy with some idiotic stuff but now I’m back! Show your love to this chapter and please don’t let it flop :( love you! ♥ Also, SaariKiSaari2.0 has been released do watch it and stream it :)