Chapter 37

I found a new apartment, and after several weeks of negotiation, we got it and started packing up. It was a 2 bed, 1 bath apartment on the other side of the city, far away from Andrew's cheating butt. The movers arrived on moving day and started to pack up my furniture. Hanna and I had already put the rest of our stuff in her car since I didn't have one. We helped with carrying out stuff until the van was filled, closed, and locked.

Hanna was driving, and I sat in the passenger's seat with Onyx in the back. "So...who was that picture of?" She asked. "My best friend, who passed away almost 5 years ago," I said. "How?" She asked. "A robbery went wrong," I said bluntly.

"What was his name?" She asked. "It hurts too much to say," I said. "Wanna write it down?" She offered. "Still hurts," I said. "How did you two meet?" She asked.

"We went to school together," I lied. After that, we fell silent for the rest of the way to the new apartment. The moving truck pulled in after us. Hanna and I went inside, got our keys, and the moving crew helped us move everything into our apartment, then left. The apartment was freezing, making me grateful I hadn't removed any of my many layers.

"Why does it have to be so cold?" I complained. "It's March in Canada," She reminded me. "I'm aware," I said, looking around for the thermostat. I found it and set the temperature to a comfortable 75 degrees. Onyx was running around, sniffing every square inch of the new apartment.

"Which room do you want?" I asked, finding the two bedroom doors. "Left," She said. "Alrighty then, I guess I'm getting the right room?" I said, a slight smirk forming. "I never took you as a jokey kind of person," Hanna said. "Then you don't know me as well as you think," I said.

"You don't have very good jokes," She said. "I doughnut know what you're talking about. My jokes are eggcellent. I eggcel in punny jokes," I said, my smirk growing. "You're impossible," She said, chuckling and shaking her head. "You know you love 'em," I said. "We should start unpacking," She said, and I nodded.

I went over to the nearest box. "Now that I think about it, we should probably put them in the room they're associated with," I suggested. "You're right. Shit, I just realized. I don't have any furniture, I left it all in my brother's apartment," She said. "You can sleep on the couch," I suggested. "Until we get me some furniture," She said.

"I don't earn that much, I'm a waitress," I reminded her. "I'm a hairdresser," She said. "Well, shit. I hope you like the couch," I said. "I better, otherwise I'm not sleeping for a long while," She said, and we started moving boxes. We set up the bathroom first because it was the easiest, then the kitchen, then the living room.

I moved on to my bedroom, assembling my bed, nightstand, and desk. I put my stuff on my desk, stashing away my old gear into the hidden compartment, and putting my picture up. I also put my lamp on and hooked it up, then moved to my remaining boxed which contained clothing.

My room came with a built-in closet, like my last apartment. After hanging up all my shirts, putting my jeans into their bins, and organizing the rest of my clothes, I was finished. I took a step back, admiring my handiwork. "Tanya, are you finished?" Hanna asked, sticking her head in. "Yeah, I'm done," I said, following her into the living room, where she handed me a coke.

"To new beginnings!"

a/n I know this isn't exactly a meme, but I still found it funny