Chapter 31

"Jesus, what happened here?" we were in some sort of old S.H.I.E.L.D. base that had been tarnished.

"I think it was raided. Look, gunpowder," Barnes pointed to a dark blast mark on the wall.

"Let's look around, see if anyone's home," Rogers suggested. I wandered down a hall, finding some sort of storage room where there was flour on the floor. I knelt, dragging my finger through it. It was right below some sort of grate, so I started poking around, finding a long-dried streak of blood on the wall.

Someone di--no. Someone was murdered here. But who?

I returned to the lobby, meeting up with the others. 

"Looks like someone used to be here, but they left for some reason," Rogers said. 

"Yeah. I found a message. Ward is HYDRA," Ellie said.

"Ward? Whose Ward?" I questioned.

"I don't know. Unless..." she trailed off, deep in thought. 

"Unless what?" we turned, seeing the Widow in the doorway. Instantly, I was on the defense. She fought against us.

She was here to turn us in. 

 "Are you here to turn us in?" I snarled. 

"I'm here to join you. I doubled-crossed my team, so they're looking for me too. I figured you guys would come here. That, and Clint radioed me saying you all were on the way to Providence," the Widow said. 

"Can we trust her?" Barnes asked, also on the defense. In response, she dumped all her weapons on the floor and held her hands up.

"My contact within S.H.I.E.L.D. is Chebotaryova Kosana Anatolievna, also known as Black Widow, or, in some cases, the Redback Widow. We were trained in the same academy, and are the only two known graduates as of 2003," she said, and Clint lowered the bow he had drawn.

"Nat, it's good to see you," the two hugged.

"There are more Black Widows?" Rogers asked. No duh. She had just said--two known graduates. And unless the Widow can use mitosis, there were two Widows in the wild.

"An entire academy of them. Asya and I were the only ones that escaped," the Widow, Nat, said.

"How do we know she's not lying?" Scott asked nervously. 

"It's her. Nat would never tell me her contact's name, until now," Clint defended. 

"Hold on. Tell them what you said after we played Uno with the other Bartons," Ellie instructed. I still hadn't let my guard down, and I was very close to sending a knife into her heart.

 "'How about we play something other than getting our butts whooped by Ellie in Uno?'" she repeated.

"Yeah, it's her," Ellie said, letting my guard drop. Foolish girl.

"So, what were you going to say before Romanoff interrupted?" Cap asked.

"This Ward character might be the same one that supervised me during my first field mission," Ellie said.

"It is. He's dead," Nat said.

"Dead? How?" she asked, as her phone, which she pulled out, buzzed.

"I take that back. He's not dead, but he's also not our problem right now," Nat said, slipping her phone back into her pocket.

"What do we do now?" Wanda asked.

"We drown the rats that didn't go down with the ship,"