Chapter 12

I ignored the footsteps echoing from the stones as they grew louder and louder. My mind was spinning with Malekith's words.

My mother was dead. He killed her. He enjoyed killing her. I would never meet my mother. I would never get to have that picturesque family.

I would never have anyone to teach me about my history. I would never have someone to tell me who my father was. I was an orphan, doomed to rot away as I crave the family I would never have.

I was nothing.

"Thor. After all this time and now you come to visit me. Why?" I was snapped out of my downwards spiral by Loki's voice cutting through the silence.

"Have you come to gloat? To mock?" He continued, still ignoring the value of family.

 "Loki, enough. No more illusions," Thor, Asgard's golden boy, said.

My eyes flicked over to the cell next to mine. This Loki I was used to was no longer. Clearly, he had not taken the recent news of the loss of the queen and his mother very well.

 His once slicked back hair was now tangled and matted, there were scratches on the walls, and the bottom of his foot was covered in something red. And, overall, he just looked tired. Like he had fought the world and the world had won. He went from a cool-headed individual with a silver tongue to a broken shell of a man.

Just like me.

"Now you see me, Brother. Did she suffer?" I blinked. He did care, he just didn't show it. Even broken, the God of Mischief had no end to his tricks.

"I did not come here to share our grief. Instead, I offer you the chance of a far richer sacrament,"

 "Go on," I was curious to hear this sacrament too.

 "I know you seek vengeance as much as I do. You help me escape Asgard and I will grant it to you. Vengeance, and afterward this cell," 

I glanced over, watching his face. For a second, he looked like he was going to cry, and an immense wave of pity for the man in the next cell washed over me. Then, an almost too amused grin spread across his face as he chuckled.

"You must be truly desperate to come to me for help. What makes you think you can trust me?" 

"I don't. Mother did," God, that hit hard, knowing his last words to his mother was him denying her being his mother.

With Loki's illusion down, I had the rare chance to get a read on his emotions. The most noticeable was, obviously, depression. However, guilt was the other big player. 

"You should know that when we fought each other in the past, I did so with a glimmer of hope that my brother was still in there somewhere. That hope no longer exists to protect you. You betray me, and I will kill you,"

He paused for a second, before smirking and lifting his head off the wall.

"When do we start?"

a/n I've been hit with that sudden 10 PM wave of inspiration, but I've got school tomorrow. Choices, choices.