22. DON'T STOP BELIEVING ☑️

Start from the beginning

Kayla wiped her tears quickly, noting how sad Brittany looked that she was sad. "I—I'm not crying, Britt."

Brittany sighed. "I'm not stupid. I'm kind of a genius, so there's no point lying to me."

A small smile crept onto Kayla's lips. It was common knowledge to everyone in the club that Brittany was one of the slower learners. Her dancing was perfect, but she wasn't exactly the best at school. She confused a lot of words and sometimes the things she said really surprised everyone around her, but Kayla noticed the way Brittany reacted when people called her dumb. She wasn't stupid and everyone knew that. She was just fragile and she needed someone patient. Santana was the only person who ever seemed to listen and understand her which was why Kayla really wanted her to admit her feelings for Brittany.

"I know you aren't. I'm just not very good at talking about my feelings." Kayla admitted, looking down at her lap as Brittany scooted closer.

"It's okay. I won't tell anyone."

Kayla sat silent for a moment before asking, "If you loved someone but couldn't have them, would you still be able to be their friend?"

Brittany nodded. "Yeah, I would." Kayla noticed the way her gaze drifted off like she was thinking of someone.

Brittany continued, "If I can't have them as something more, then at least I get to have them as my friend."

"It's just hard for me to look at her and not get swept up again and again." Kayla mumbled.

"Rachel?" Kayla nodded.

Brittany said slowly, "You know, you're probably the most unicorn person I've ever met. You give no fucks and leave it all out on the table and if Rachel can't see how amazing you are, maybe you should ride off in the sunset without her."

Half the sentence made zero sense, but the part that did made Kayla smile.

"You are the only person I know who's like me and you make no apologies for who you choose to love. I think that's beautiful, Kayla." Brittany smiled, laying her head on Kayla's shoulder.

Kayla smiled softly, leaning her head against Brittany's. "One of these days, she'll realize that she loves you, Britt. Until then, consider me the gayest of your friends."

Brittany chuckled, linking their pinkies together. "Promise?"

"Promise."

←⧪→

Kayla walked down the hallway with Brittany by her side the next day. She got weird looks from the group because no one really thought they even talked to each other, but at the moment, she needed someone like Brittany to balance out all the constant sadness she felt.

Just as the two were about to turn the corner and run up the stairs to their math class, Kayla saw Rachel lean in and kiss Finn on the steps and immediately her heart broke in two. Kayla turned away, immediately breaking down into Brittany's arms. Brittany tried to shush her, running her fingers through her brown hair. Santana saw the commotion and pulled Kayla into a hug, bracing herself for the consequence of being a normal functioning human being with feelings.

"What's going on?" Santana whispered to Brittany. The blonde answered that Kayla was heartbroken over Finn and Rachel. Santana nodded, immediately spewing a bunch of insults about the two to make Kayla laugh.

"Forget Tubbers and Yentl. You don't need them. You're a bad bitch with a bitchin' bod and you can have anyone you want in this joint." Santana reasoned, pulling back from her hug.

Kayla laughed slightly, trying to stop herself from crying. "All I want is her."

"Frankly, I think you deserve better than someone who always treats you like a second class citizen. I think you are better than a walking Twilight cliche." Santana ranted, grimacing over at the couple who were still swapping genetic material, completely unaware of the broken down girl in the middle of the hallway.