10. DANCING ON MY OWN ☑️

CHAPTER TEN |
dancing on my own

***

KAYLA WAS PRETTY excited about the newly announced Sadie Hawkins dance. She needed a dance to chill her out. Aside from the fact that she had no clue who to ask, she couldn't wait to dance around with her friends and just like every prom before her, she was keeping with her theme of wearing a suit. She felt powerful in a suit. It was the only time she ever felt in control of something. She knew the obvious choice would be for her to ask Ryder to the dance. He was her fake boyfriend after all, but it didn't feel right. She knew she would rather be going with Sam, but it was obvious he was going to be with Brittany, so she squashed that idea rather quickly.

Right outside of the locker room, Kayla found a freshman Cheerio named Chloe looking up at Ryder, just on the verge of asking him to the dance. She rolled her eyes, walking up to him and immediately interlocking their fingers together. He smiled at her gratefully.

"Chloe, quit flirting with my boyfriend, please." Kayla suggested softly, watching that glare appear on Chloe's face. She and Chloe hadn't particularly gotten along since she dropped her during a build and prompted her to need a neck brace. In her defense, Chloe didn't keep still and placed her feet at an odd angle that made it impossible to catch her.

She huffed, mumbling out something that Kayla's ear couldn't register but was probably something along the lines of calling her every foul name in the book. Ryder mouthed a thank you, but didn't let go of her hand as they turned back to the crowd that consisted of Jake, Marley, and Artie.

"Boyfriend?" Jake asked with a smirk.

She blushed, hiding her face in Ryder's shoulder. She didn't know why she was embarrassed. Ryder was not her boyfriend, but maybe it was more the premise of the whole thing. She wasn't used to having a boyfriend. She hadn't had one since eighth grade. Even if it wasn't real, it felt nice to be needed by someone.

"Shut up, Jake," Ryder mumbled, smiling down at her. "Come on. Let's go to glee." he didn't let go of her hand as they headed into the locker room which was the only classroom they could meet in at the moment. She sat down next to him on the bench, ignoring Sam's gaze on her. She wasn't really ready to talk to him yet.

"Okay, guys. Tina would like to ask one of you lucky men to the dance, so take it away!" he smiled, everyone clapping as he gave Tina the floor.

Kayla smiled brightly as Tina announced that she would be performing I Don't Know How To Love Him. As Tina begun singing, her smile continued. The song was perfect for her voice and she was reminded of just how talented her best friend was. She had no clue who Tina was going to ask out until she hit the bridge and stepped up towards Blaine. She immediately dropped Ryder's hand and instead held it over her mouth in surprise and worry. She was hagging out for Blaine. This was the definition of the worst thing ever.

When the song ended, a scatter of very awkward applause and murmurs fell across the room as Finn asked Tina who she wanted to go to the dance with and she grinned, looking straight ahead as she asked, "Blaine, will you go to the dance with me?"

Kayla grimaced. This was painful, but nothing was more painful than the look on Tina's face as Blaine said no. Tina took a gulp in an attempt to hide her tears while the football team burst into the locker room for practice. It took mere seconds before Tina was running out.

"I'll see you after practice, okay?" Ryder smiled softly at her and she nodded, giving him a quick hug before she pulled away and went to find Tina.

She found her in the bathroom, holding onto the sink as she let tears fall down her face. She frowned, placing a hand on Tina's shoulder softly, making the just slightly older girl look up with a sad smile. She was trying to be strong for Kayla. She didn't need to. So Kayla didn't say anything. She just simply pulled Tina into her arms and let her cry.