16. GOTTA BE SOMEBODY ☑️

CHAPTER SIXTEEN |
gotta be somebody

***

KAYLA WAS ON FaceTime with Dave when she heard the rustling in her kitchen. She heard the banging of pots and groaned.

"Dude, quit breaking my stuff!" she yelled out to Sam who went in there like fifteen minutes ago looking for food.

"Sorry!" Sam's voice came out muffled as she turned back to Dave who was smiling brightly and looking better than she'd seen him in a long time.

"Are you still coming to visit next week? I miss you." she asked with a hopeful smile.

He chuckled, answering. "Yes, I'm still coming. I'm going through Kayla withdrawal. But hey, I gotta go get ready for my date."

"Tell Evan I said hi. You better bring him next week. I wanna meet him." Kayla gave him a stern look that only amused Dave.

"I promise, Kay. Now, go. I think Sam is trying to break your kitchen." he chuckled, blowing her a kiss before he ended the call.

She smiled, looking at the blank screen. She felt whole talking to Dave after it had been so long. He was away at college, so they didn't really see each other as much as they used to and calls only happened once in a while. She was really excited for next week. She was pulled out of her thoughts by more banging in the kitchen, so she sighed, getting up off the couch to see what wreck Sam had left it in.

When she approached the kitchen, a near gasp left her, seeing every brand of pasta and noddle on her floor. "Sam, what the hell?"

He looked at her with a worrisome gaze. "I—I can explain!" he stuttered out. She stood with her arms crossed, waiting for his response. She tapped her foot on the tile impatiently as Sam unzipped his backpack and pulled out a canvas and just like that, Kayla's jaw was dropping to the floor.

"Is that... a macaroni likeness of Kurt's face?" she trailed, inspecting the artwork. He nodded, though a dark blush was covering his cheeks and part of his neck as he admitted it.

He stammered out a response. "I—I just needed some more rotini shells. I promise I'll buy you new ones! I just needed them now."

She chuckled warmly, sending him one of those special smiles she had reserved just for him. "It's fine, Sam. Just—is there a reason why you're making Kurt out of pasta?"

He sighed, grabbing her hand and pulling her back to the living room to sit down. He laid the canvas on the coffee table and began pacing back and forth. She looked up at him with worry. She'd never really seen him act like this, so she grabbed his hand again, pulling him onto the couch with him. "Hey, it's okay. Whatever it is, I'm here for you."

Sam smiled slightly as he looked at her before he took a deep breath. "Okay, so I haven't told anyone this and there's not really a reason for it because I know you and my family would be fine with it. I guess I've just been trying to understand it myself before I told anyone. Uh, but now it just seems silly that I haven't. You're like my best friend, Magenta. You deserve to know."

She rubbed her thumb along his hand and squeezed it gently. "You can tell me anything."

"I... I think I'm bi," he shook his head. "No, I know I am. I just, I've never told anyone this before. Am I supposed to be this nervous?"

Kayla's features softened at his words and she found herself breaking out into a smile before she was pulling him into a hug, whispering, "I'm so proud of you."

"Really?"

She furrowed her brows, continuing to smile at him. "Of course I am. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I—I don't know. I just... I've had a hard time accepting it. I guess I just worried you wouldn't accept that part of me." he mumbled.