22. DON'T STOP BELIEVING ☑️

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO |
don't stop believing

***

THIS WEEK DETERMINED everything about what would happen to the club. Even though Jesse was back on Vocal Adrenaline, they still felt confident in their ability to win. They were optimistic which was a horrible thing to have as a competitor. Hope kills and all their hopes were dashed the minute it was announced that Coach Sylvester was a guest judge for Regionals. Everyone was sitting in Mr. Schuester's apartment (which was one half creepy and the other half sweet), attempting to come up with their setlist because why would a glee club ever have their songs picked a week before competition day?

Kayla sat next to Tina, holding her hand as she cried out, "You know how many Facebook friends I had when this started? Two—my parents." Kayla snuggled into her side, squeezing her hand in comfort.

Rachel sat at Kayla's other side, laying her head on the brunette's shoulder. "Mr. Schue, if it's okay with you, can we all just go around the room and say what we loved about glee this year?" Kayla wiped the tear on Rachel's face.

Mr. Schue nodded and everyone around the room began pouring their hearts out. Tina and Rachel were sobbing through their words and Kayla was trying her best not to join them. She was just as upset as they were. This was her home and she wasn't ready for any of it to end.

Kayla often thought back to who she was when this all began. She was a nobody freshman with a beautiful voice and no outlet. She was Rachel's worst enemy and somehow in the past six months, she'd become her first love. She'd punched the quarterback and became best friends with the school player. When she came into this glee club, she expected none of what came to her. She never thought she'd be friends with Rachel, let alone fall in love with her. She thought she'd spent the rest of her life ignoring Puck's advances only for him to be the guy who took her virginity. She didn't think she'd ever be a Cheerio, but she actually loved it. She felt so accomplished now that the year was ending and yet she still felt sad knowing that Aaron was graduating in a few months and that glee could be over in a matter of seventy two hours.

Glee was her whole world. She wasn't ready for it to end.

"Kayla?" Mr. Schue's voice broke her out of her thoughts and she shook her head of the sad knowledge, humming.

Rachel looked over to Kayla, squeezing her hand softly. "What are you most thankful for?"

Kayla sighed softly. There was too much to even consider. "I'm so thankful that I met you guys. You are all my friends and after moving I didn't even know if I could be friends with anyone more than my brother, but you all changed that for me. Thank you."

Rachel snuggled into her side, kissing Kayla's cheek. Kayla tried to stop the blush that came up through her cheeks, but she failed miserably. As much as she promised Rachel they could friends, she wasn't sure she could ever just be friends with her. She'd always want more.

"Excuse me for a sec." Kayla mumbled, breaking out of Rachel's grasp as she walked out into the hallway. She sat down in front of the apartment, noting the soft footsteps following behind her. She looked up from her misery to see Brittany. It wasn't like she wasn't happy to see the blonde. It was just that they weren't super close.

"Why are you crying?" Brittany asked softly, sitting down next to Kayla.

Kayla chuckled a bit as the skirt of Brittany's Cheerio uniform had glitter on the ends and she thought about how that was just so like her. Kayla loved being on the Cheerios, but she couldn't wear her uniform all the time like Brittany and Santana did. The uniform was rather uncomfortable most of the time and the outfit itself created too much attention for Kayla for deal with. She wasn't a fan of getting catcalled for playing a sport, so she really only wore it on game days or at pep rallies.