4. HEY BROTHER ☑️

CHAPTER FOUR |
hey brother

***

"HEY, HOTSTUFF!" A voice yelled out to Kayla as she made her way down the hall. She rolled her eyes, completely prepared to smack whichever football jackoff it was, but instead smiled, noticing Sam jogging towards her.

"Hotstuff?" she mused, elbowing him in the side. He'd just gotten his brace off last week and his shoulder was now back in place. "I don't think you could handle me, Evans."

Sam chuckled. "I couldn't think of another way to get your attention."

"My name would suffice." he shrugged his shoulders in response, going to say what he called her for.

"So, today's my first day of glee. Any advice?" Sam asked nervously. He kept looking at the ground, so she put her hands on his shoulders and looked him straight in the eyes.

"Don't worry. They're all really cool. Just don't sit in between Brittany and Santana. You might get attacked." she answered, holding out her hand for him to high-five which he reluctantly did.

"I'll even walk in with you." she smiled, bracing herself for Mr. Schue's introduction.

"... introducing our new member, Sam Evans!" Mr. Schue's voice called out and Kayla slapped him on the back, making him walk into the choir room. She followed close behind him.

"Hi guys. I'm Sam. Sam I am. And I don't like green eggs and ham." Sam introduced himself awkwardly and Kayla tried to stiffle her laughter behind him.

Santana mumbled. "Wow. He has no game."

Kayla put an arm around his broad shoulders and pulled him over to her usual seat in the back. "Let's just sit down." He nodded fervently, cheeks red from the embarrassment.

Mr. Schue clapped his hands and started the lesson. "Okay, guys. Sectionals is just a few weeks away, so to get into the competing spirit, I've decision to throw a little competition."

"Every time you do these things, everyone wins." Kayla grumbled, watching Mr. Schue glare at her. They were still treading on thin ice from her outburst during Britney week.

"But this time, there's a prize!" he pulled two certificates out of his back pocket. "The winner gets a free dinner at Breadstix!"

Immediately the room burst into cheers. Everyone loved Breadstix for some reason. Kayla wasn't as big of a fan, but it was alright.

"So grab a partner because we're doing duets." Mr. Schue grinned, watching all his students start branching off for their performances.

Kayla sat back in her seat quietly. If Puck was here, they could be partners and sing some obscure Billy Joel song because Lord knows Puck loved to pay tribute to every Jewish artist in history. She was going to ask Sam, but she watched him start talking to Kurt. Kurt's crush on Finn had finally faded, so now he was moving onto another one. She couldn't ask Tina. She was paired up with Mike. Even Artie was out of comission. He was partnering with Brittany. Kayla spent the rest of the practice trying to figure out who to partner up with and when Mr. Schue dismissed them and she still hadn't found someone, she just gave up all together.

Kayla walked over to her locker, ready to go home. She didn't like to admit it, but she felt really sad not having a duet partner. She felt like the runt of the litter—like nobody wanted her. Of course she had her friends, but she always felt like a backup friend to most people, even Tina. When they were dating, she was the third wheel to Tina and Artie. They never needed her around. She thought she was always just invited out of pity and she hated the idea that she'd always be second best for everyone. Her friendship with Sam was still new. She didn't quite know where they stood.