12. ALWAYS BE TOGETHER ☑️

CHAPTER TWELVE |
always be together

***

KAYLA'S HEART WAS in these hallowed halls. Lately every step in this school felt like saying goodbye and Kayla just wasn't ready to. She remembered last year how hopeless she became when her friends graduated. Let's face it, she sucked at change and as much as she always said she couldn't wait to leave McKinley, now she really didn't want to leave. There were so many memories here that she just couldn't let go of.

It was in the choir room where she came out to everyone and in front of Kurt's old locker where he admitted his sexuality to her. It was in the bathroom where Tina helped her clean off her first slushie and the auditorium where she sang Rachel a song. It was in the locker room where she tried to convince Sam he had a future and on the football field where she punched Finn square in the face. It was everywhere and all of a sudden it was all disappearing.

She just wanted time to stop.

Brushing away a few stray tears, she made her way into the choir room. It was littered with lilies which she knew was from Brittany's attempt to get Santana back. She told Brittany they were the lesbian of flowers and the blonde seemed to take her advice in bulk. She chuckled softly. She would even miss little things like that.

Tina came in with a huff, moving a vase off a chair so she could plop down in her frustration.

"I'm never going to New York. I have no plan. I just feel like a loser." Tina bowed her head, twiddling her thumbs together to distract herself from the fact that she was near tears.

"Like me?" Sam grinned, pulling her guitar over his shoulder and nodding Blaine over to the piano.

Kayla caught on, pulling her own guitar over her shoulder as she stated. "Like me."

< loser like me, glee cast >

Blaine sat behind the piano and played softly. "You may think that I'm a zero, but everyone you wanna be probably started off like me."

Kayla nudged Tina's shoulder as she began to sing. "You may say that I'm a freakshow, but give it just a little time. I bet you're gonna change your mind."

Sam came crooning in. "All of the dirt you've been throwing my way, it ain't so hard to take. Cause I know one day you'll be screaming my name, and I'll just look away."

Kayla stopped playing long enough to grab Tina's hand and pull her over to the piano for the chorus.

"Just go ahead and hate on me, run your mouth, so everyone can hear. Hit me with the worst you got and knock me down. Baby, I don't care. Keep it up and soon enough you'll figure out, you wanna be, yeah you wanna be, a loser like me."

By the time the song had finished, Tina was wiping a tear from Kayla's cheek and pulling her in for hug. The last time she sang this song her birth mother was trying to reach out to her and she hadn't thought about Kris in a long time, but she hoped that her mom would be proud of her.

"Come with us to New York, please? You don't need a plan. You just need us." Kayla pleaded her best friend and finally Tina's resolve crumbled and she smiled.

"Okay. Let's do this."

←⧪→

"San!" Kayla yelled after her friend, chasing her down the parking lot.

"What, Rexy?" Santana quipped, opening her car door.

A little laugh fell from Kayla's lips. "You know you and Sue are the only ones that call me that and at first I thought it was because you were making fun of me and you didn't care that I had an eating disorder, but after a while it became a term of endearment somehow. Why is that?"