9. DON'T DREAM IT'S OVER ☑️

CHAPTER NINE |
don't dream it's over

WARNINGS: still covering eating disorders. please don't read if this is at all triggering 💗

***

THE WORLD WAS fucked. That was the general consensus Kayla settled on when they lost Sectionals. She didn't blame Marley. How could she? She'd been in the same shoes as the brunette once and there were many days that she'd pass out in the middle of gym class. The rest of her counterparts didn't seem to agree.

"So that's it? No more glee club?" Sam questioned.

Mr. Schuester answered with a shrug, "Not until next September."

Kayla frowned, leaning back against the barren wall. Everything was gone. Their posters, their awards. Hell, Sue had her Cheerios take down the wall. Kayla was the only cheerleader who refused to help tear down the choir room. Of course Kitty was still her little mole (though when Marley passed out, she finally saw some empathy in her eyes) and Brittany was just Brittany, so they didn't protest. But Kayla could not tear down a place that meant so much to her. This was her home away from home. She'd never felt more safe than she had among these four walls. And now it was all over. She was a senior now. She didn't get another glee season. This was it.

Tina scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "Can I just say what we're all thinking? This is Marley's fault. New Rachel, my butt."

Kayla's jaw nearly fell to the floor as she quickly smacked Tina's arm to tell her to shut up. She knew Tina was upset. She was upset too, but blaming Marley didn't change anything. There was no point in blaming her for something she couldn't control and after everything Kayla went through, she thought her best friend would understand that.

"Look, I know this isn't ideal, but we have the Winter Showcase to prepare for. If this is our swan song, let's make the best of it, so we can have a great season next year." Finn tried to lighten everyone's spirits, but it wasn't helping. Every single face in there looked depressed.

Sam said the obvious for how all the seniors were feeling. "What about those of us that don't have a next year?"

And neither Finn or Mr. Schuester had an answer for that. They tried to apologize and make everyone feel better, but realizing it was a lost cause, they quickly dismissed everyone and Kayla made her way out of there as fast as she could. She was halfway down the hall by the time Ryder caught up to her, tapping her shoulder.

"I don't really feel like talking right now." she frowned, clutching her books to her chest.

He gave her a sympathetic smile as he said, "I know, but before the whole Marley thing, I wanted to ask you something. Can I?"

She rolled her eyes and waved her hand to tell him to continue. A genuine smile erupted onto his face as he explained the situation. "So I really like Marley and she's kinda with Jake. I—I don't want to break them up or anything because Jake's been a friend lately, but I was hoping you might assist me in making her jealous?"

"Is that question or a statement?" her tone lacked caring, but she wasn't particularly bothered at the moment.

"A statement. Will you be my fake girlfriend?" he asked her hesitantly. A breathless came out of her. She almost thought he was joking, but then she saw how serious he looked and she stood up straighter, whispering to him so that no one else could hear.

"Ry, she has an eating disorder and she's really struggling right now. I don't think she needs a boyfriend at all right now. She's really fragile." Kayla reasoned with him and he sighed.

"I know. I just... I can't help it. I really like her and I know she's with Jake and I wouldn't do anything to get in between that intentionally. I just feel like she's with the wrong guy." Ryder ignored her gaze most of the time he spoke. She was pretty sure he was a little scared of her.