thirty four

"Cuddling is a platonic thing, right?"

Melanie shrugs. "Sure, why not?"

Calum returns his attention to the ever-so-boring movie playing on the television. At every attempt he had made to scoot away, Melanie had only allowed herself to melt further into him. "We should try to get some sleep; we've got a day full of driving tomorrow."

Melanie nods. Right when Calum thinks she's getting up to return to her bed, she just rolls over and tugs at the white, fluffy blanket. "Goodnight, Cal."

After a moment of staring at her, he sighs. "Is there a particular reason why you haven't moved?"

"Excuse me, for being comfortable. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to enjoy where I am."

Not wanting to begin an arguement the half-asleep woman would not remember in the morning, Calum pushes the covers off of himself and retreats to the bed closest to the window.

»

"Dear Melanie,
I bet you weren't expecting a note by your pillow when you woke up. Sorry it's not a mint; this hotel isn't fancy enough for that, but I know you well and I'm positive that you'd rather receive this.

I woke up early today and decided that I had nothing better to do than write you a note. There are some things I find easier to write than say directly; for example, your hair looks like seaweed (you said that yourself, but that doesn't mean that I did not agree).

You look kind of adorable when you sleep. I know that sounds weird, but your nose is pushed into the pillow right now and your lips are open lopsided. Please don't start drooling- you'll ruin the moment.

I noticed that you're wearing that bracelet I got you for your birthday at the beginning of this year. It's odd to think that I had to have Luke give you the box and card just because I was too scared to talk to you. But look at us now! We've been traveling together for two weeks and finally making up for all of the lost moments.

I spoke to Ashton about the bet you two have going on. He said it was just a joke, but you really seem to be taking it seriously. How about you scrap the bet with Ashton and start one with me? If I fall for you by the end of this roadtrip, you can choose what happens as your prize. But if you fall for me, all I ask is that you tell me.

I need to make sure that us holding off on dating is going to be worth it, if something changes between us.

It's hard not to admit how I feel to you. Sure you already know how I feel because I told you a little while ago, but it's hard not to be able to tell you at every chance I get.

I want to fall in love with the stars in your eyes, but I keep telling myself to supress how I feel and to try and forget it. Is it this difficult for you? Probably not, you're heartless, after all.

Just kidding

Kind of.

Oh, please answer me this: what did I do to get my mind stuck on you?

I find this roadtrip with you fascinating. I'm learning a lot about the world around us, a lot about you, and a lot about myself."

Calum sighs and crumples the paper before tossing it in the trash bin.

Sure, some things are better written than said, but that note fell under the slim category of "neither".

He grabs a new paper and starts over.

»

"Melanie,

I went downstairs for breakfast. Make sure you're packed, and meet me in the lobby when you're ready.

xx,

Cal"

»

an: IF YOU UNDERSTOOD THE TWO SONGS I REFERENCED THEN I LOVE YOU AND YOU ARE THE BEST

anyway this is the fourth update on this in twenty four hours what the heck

are frequent updates annoying?

tbh I think these chapters have sucked as of late but idc bc I love writing this book okay