thirty one

(an: listen to "kiss me again" by we are the in crowd & alex gaskarth at the second part of this chapter because it's one of the several songs mentioned and iT JUST WORKS OKAY)

»

Three times. Not one, not two, but three. That's how many times Calum had come over to Michael's house this week and he had to pretend he was ill just to avoid his friends seeing each other. Melanie had stayed over at her own choice because of Michael's mother being away, visiting his grandmother. Michael wouldn't have minded, had Melanie not been moping around the house. She was draining him of the little excitement he had until he had to go back to football conditioning for the new year. "This is getting ridiculous, Melanie," Michael shakes her shoulder. "Come on, get up."

She groans and sits up, glaring at the boy in front of her. "What?" She snaps.

"You can't sit around here and hope that Calum decides to climb through the window rather than coming to the door, and he sees you." Melanie rolls her eyes, but Michael persists. "If you want to tell him so badly that you feel the same, then go do it before you miss your chance. Melanie just shakes her head. "I don't see how this is so difficult for you."

"You wanna know so badly," Melanie sighs. "Why don't you figure my heart out."

"Already did, and look where that got you." Michael smirks, remembering their kiss(es) from the party.

Melanie hadn't stopped blaming Calum for her problems, despite the fact that all she wanted to do was go up to him and give him the tightest hug she knew how. "It's his fault we made out!" was personally, Michael's favorite of the claims thus far.

"If you don't go talk to him right now, you can't stay here." Michael states.

Melanie pouts. "Why not?"

"Because people like you and Calum belong together," he sighs. "And quite frankly, I'm sick of my friends hating each other."

Melanie stares at her feet as she kicks her heels to the carpeted floor, back and forth. "I suppose you're right."

»

It doesn't take long for Melanie to go home and get ready. She wants to look nice, because hey, maybe she has a chance. What Luke had said about it being silly for her to want to be with Calum was still stuck in the back of her mind. It nearly stopped her from ringing the doorbell, but alas, she saw no point in returning home, having already made the trip to Calum's house successfuly.

He once again, was home alone. Melanie found herself grateful for the matter, but also was worried with how uncomfortable the situation may become between herself and Calum. It's become dark outside, having it been just a little past nine in the evening.

She makes her way to the door quickly, wanting to get this over and done with as soon as she could. She knocks against the wooden frame three times with her knuckles before the takes the step back, out of habit. "Well, well. I wasn't expecting to see you here."

"We need to talk." Melanie sharply says, immediately regretting her tone. Being rude wasn't going to help anything between her and Calum.

"I've heard that before," Calum smirks as he allows her inside. "Let's hope it ends out better this time."

"I'd be happy I'm here if I were you," Melanie sighs. "Michael's making me do this because I won't any other way."

"This has gotta be good, seeing as to what his lovely advice did for us last time." Cal closes the heavy door and smiles at the girl in front of him. "Your hair's fading." He points out.