forty four

an: are the chapters showing up with the new numbering format? my wattpad app shows that it is in the create section, but not in the actual book so...

»

The first day back at school was just as uneventful as Melanie expected. She stupidly signed up for another year-round AP class, which she instantly regretted once they dove head first into taking notes. The other academics that she had signed up for stuck to the usual hour and a half of reviewing rules. However, when she entered the art room (the only elective she had for the semester, sadly), a rush of excitement came over her.

She wasn't fabulous at art, but it had always been the creative outlet she craved in the middle of a stressful day. The only person she knew in the class upon walking in was Aries, who she really didn't want to get involved with at the moment. Because of this, she took the spot closest to the large window against the wall.

Outside, Melanie could see students arriving late and a few trying to skip their classes. She doesn't see the point of skipping, but is surprised when a familiar face pulls out the chair next to her rather than being with the group of peers outside. "Fancy seeing you here."

Melanie breaks her attention from the window and smiles at Michael, his hair now a white-blond. "You're telling me?" She scoffs. "I would've expected you to be skipping today; not that it would effect affect you, detention is your second home after all."

Michael rolls his eyes. "It's better not to skip the first few days, just so you at least have an understanding of where you're supposed to be."

Melanie nods. "You dyed your hair."

"Wouldn't be the first time," he smiles and plays with a strand of hair that had fallen from the bun on Melanie's head. "Purple looks nice on you." Melanie utters a quick thank you as she watches Michael. "It feels really unhealthy though."

Melanie rolls her eyes, swatting his hand away. "Shut up, you're in no position to judge."

The conversation is interrupted by another presence. "Hey, love." Calum presses a kiss to Melanie's cheek.

Michael sighs as he stands back up. "I'll just... I'll sit somewhere else."

Calum shakes his head. "Oh, no you're fine."

Melanie sends Michael a warning look, that soon turns sad when Michael persists. "No, really, it's okay. I need to talk to Aries anyway."

Calum sits in the spot that was preoccupied by Michael and sends Melanie a bright smile. "Nice to see that we have a class together."

Melanie nods, glancing back at Michael. She feels bad for him feeling like he had to leave. Either way, she can't avoid Calum forever. "Yeah." Michael is stuck on her brain, disabling her from being able to focus on Calum.

This boy was lovesick, and Melanie felt terrible for leading him on.

Her phone vibrates with the notification of a text message.

Received: 1:24 PM From: Michael
"So much for not dating, huh?"

She sighs, putting the phone back down. Calum is having a conversation with the person behind them, who she recognized from art class the year prior.

Looking back out the window, Melanie can see fewer students outside.

Her phone distracts her once again, as it goes off with another message.

Received: 1:25 PM From: Michael
"It's kind of rude to ignore people. Just saying."

Sent: 1:26 PM To: Michael
"Is there somewhere you can meet me? After school today would be best; we need to talk."

Received: 1:28 PM From: Michael
"We could go to my house? I can drive you there so you don't have to walk."

Melanie knows she shouldn't agree. Heck, she shouldn't even be making plans with Michael in the first place. It's not a date, and she knows Michael doesn't have feelings for her, but she can't say the same for herself.

It was wrong, in her eyes. She didn't have a relationship going on with Calum, but still felt that she was betraying him. And though her feelings towards Michael (that seemed forced, just because they kissed) weren't strong at all, making plans behind Calum's back just didn't seem right.

Sent: 1:30 PM To: Michael
"See you then."

»

an: melanie what are you gonna do

this chapter was short and it kinda sucked but hey at least I updated

there's a reference to a song in here and if you caught onto it, just remember that will play a huge role in the next few chapters

feedback?

thank you for 30k!