Army Brat

Chapter 1

       I watch the movers help carry my mom and my boxes inside our new home is sunny California. Another new school in another new town, third time this year, I think to myself as I slowly walk up the stairs to my new bedroom. My mom’s job makes us move around a lot, sometimes it’s in amazing places like right now, but other times it’s caused us to move to horribly boring places like Georgia or Illinois. I love my mom but I hate having to move every three months because the job market keeps jumping around to new cities.

    “Arianna, honey can you come down and help us with some boxes?” I hear my mom yell up the stairs. I roll my eyes and slowly walk down the stairs.

    “Hey, mom how many more boxes? I’m kind of hungry and thought we could go out for some Italian?” I ask as I smile at a cute mover as he helps bring in our huge fluffy white couch and set it down in the new living room.

    “Only a couple more I promise, and I’m hungry too. We’ll go get something when we’re done.” she says as she pushes me out the door towards the movers truck. I sigh and grab on of my boxes labeled CDs and DVDs  from the back and walk back inside.

     To my mom only a couple more boxes meant half a truck load of boxes. It took us until 11 pm to finally bring in the last box and pay the movers. I hear my stomach growl as I set down the last box and watch the movers pull out of out new driveway.

   “Can we go eat now?” I ask as my mom closes the front door and locks it. I wipe a trickle of sweat from my forehead and lean on the stair railing.

   “Yes, I’m starving.” she laughs and holds her stomach and makes a pained face. I laugh and grab the car keys and follow her out the garage door to my little apple green VW Bug and climb into the drivers seat. I back out of the driveway and head into town. My mom turns up the radio and starts singing Taylor Swift’s We Are Never Ever Getting back Together at the top of her lungs. I roll my eyes and join her smiling and laughing. I look over at my mom and watch her sing as I stop at a red light. Her short blonde hair is pulled up into a low pony tail and little fly away hairs blow around her as the wind coming from the windows hit her face. Her deep sea blue eyes shine and crinkle at the edges. I smile as she bounces up in down in the car singing along to her favorite song. I swear my mom is like a teenager stuck in a thirty year olds body.

   My mom got pregnant with me when she was sixteen and had to raise me all on her own because my dad couldn’t handle having a kid. His baseball career came before having a kid and he left to collage soon after I was born. It’s always been me and my mom, and I like it like that. Sure she’s had some boyfriends but they never lasted. Ever since I could remember my mom has always put me before anything, well besides her job. Her job always came first, but I understand that. She always told me she wants me to have a better life then she did, she works hard to keep us living in nice houses even if it’s only for a couple months.

    I pull up outside an Olive Garden and park the car. I walk around and link arms with my mom, smiling as we walk into the restaurant and ask for a seat.