Chapter 20

(Mikasa's POV) :

As I got up this morning, I couldn't help but feel guilty because I blew up at Eren yesterday. Even though I was angry, he didn't deserve it.

I got up of bed slowly, and I headed over to the dining room. I sat there, staring at the wall, emotionless. I really was an idiot. 

Eren didn't even know why I was so angry at him, and I ran away, like a coward. Now that I think about it, I shouldn't have done that. I should've fought to get Eren to like me, instead of handing him over to Annie.

But now, it's over. I don't stand a chance anymore, especially now, because I made Eren think I hate him. Also, today is the day Eren's going out with Annie, so I don't want to mess things up between them.

So, what to do, what to do...

I have nothing to do except cry for now, so... I should at least cry and tell someone about it, right? So... someone who will listen to me without making fun of me... and who won't kill Eren... so, I have to kick Levi off from the start, don't I.

Oh, Armin would be great! He's always calm. Although he screams pretty loudly when he's scared. Okay, I'll call Armin.

I walked to a nearby park and looked around : Armin was nowhere to be seen yet. So, I sat on a bench and waited. I admit that the message I sent him wasn't the clearest. I mean, " Can you meet me at the park near my house? I need to talk to someone" isn't the most reassuring thing you could send to someone.

I sat down and waited for Armin, and I saw him running towards me with a box of donuts in his hand. When he arrived next to me, he sat down and let out a big gulp of air.

"Phew! Physical activities aren't my thing, especially not running!"

He took a seat on the bench and he offered me a donut, which I gladly accepted.

We stayed silent for a while, because, well... Even though we were friends, Eren was usually the one that did the talking, and us two that did the commenting. I was comfortable like this, but at some point, Armin broke thee silence :

"So, Mikasa, mind telling me what's up?"

"Well," I started, "You see, I... have this friend, you know... and she, well, she has this crush on Eren."

Armin just stared at me, waiting for me to continue.

"She got put in a... situation where she had no choice but to spend time with him, and even though she hated him at first, I - Well, I mean, my friend fell for him."

Armin had a "are you seriously thinking I would buy that look" on his face. He's too intelligent for his own good. Or maybe I'm just not convincing. Now that I think about it, the second option makes way more sense.

But Armin, being the kind person he is, played the game :

"Well, does you 'friend' feel, like he feels the same way?"

"Hum... she did, at first. She thought Eren and herself had something special, but then she heard a conversation between him and An- er... another girl. He was desperately telling her that he wasn't dating my friend." I said.

"So, my friend tried to distance herself from him, but he kept acting like he liked her, and now I don't understand him anymore because I'm so damned confused!" I blurted out. "Is he acting, Armin? Ix Eren playing with me, or does he care about me?! I don't understand!"

I looked up and met Armin's eyes. He looked really sorry for me, and my eyes started to water.

"I don't know what to do, Armin. I really don't. Should I just give up? Should I try to win him over? Tell me, please", I whispered.