Chapter 18

(Mikasa's POV) :

"Mikasa! Time to eat! Come down right now!"

I don't want to go to school.

After hearing Eren's conversation with Annie yesterday, I don't feel like doing anything. We didn't talk much after that, and it was fine by me. I just wanted to go home as fast I could.

I feel empty, like someone just took away my desire to live. Eren said he followed me because he pitied me. He said he wanted me to leave him alone. I don't know why, but that hurt me. A lot.

Eren means so much to me now. I can't believe it wasn't genuine. 

After eating breakfast, I hurriedly put on my uniform. I got ready faster than usual, which is good. I don't want to walk with Eren to school today. It would just be awkward the whole way. 

I walked quickly on my way to school, and when I arrived, I went to class. I watched as everyone arrived : Armin was first, then Annie, Sasha and Connie. One minute before class started, Eren entered class bickering with Jean.

"I bet she grew tired of you. You're so stupid for thinking she would want to walk to school with you! Next time, I'll be the one waiting in front of her house for her to come out."

"Shut your mouth before I punch you, horse face. On the other hand, I bet she grew tired of you the moment she saw you for the first time!"

I pretended I didn't hear anything and I looked down. I knew it was all an act because he pitied me. I could feel Annie's gaze on me.

I already knew Annie liked Eren, but him liking Annie was a total surprise for me. And it wasn't a pleasant one, believe me. When I met Eren, I didn't like him at first, but I eventually became his friend. Even though he has other friends, I like to think that we had something special because we switched bodies.

Now, I know I was wrong. Even though we have something special between us, he still likes someone more than me. I don't know why, but I don't want him being closer with Annie than he is with me. Maybe, deep down, I wanted to be the only one special in his eyes. The one that matters the most to him.

Maybe deep down, I only wanted him to like me.

But it's impossible. He likes Annie. Why would he have denied the fact that I possibly liked him so much if he didn't? It wouldn't make any sense.

I tried to concentrate on the lesson, but my thoughts kept drifting to something, or rather someone else. I couldn't hate Eren, even after hearing what he said, but being so close to him will affect me, I know him. I need to distance myself from him, and I know just how. By using Annie and Jean.

Time skip (3 hours) :

Lunch time finally arrived, and I sat next to Armin and Sasha instead of Eren. He sent me a questioning gaze, but I just ignored it. Instead, I talked with Sasha and Connie who were being goofballs, and I actually enjoyed it.

At one point, they started throwing food at each other, and I had to stuff bread in Sasha's mouth to stop her.

When I finished eating, I went over to Annie so I could talk to her. She looked at me for a moment, trying to read me, and stood up following me.

I walked and we ended up outside. When I was sure no one could see us or hear us, I turned around and started speaking :

"So, Annie... About that talk 'we' had yesterday..."

"Yeah? What about it?"

"Well, I think I might be able to, y'know, help you get a date, maybe? "