Chapter 19|Bothered

Start from the beginning

Present time.

Yesterday when Caleb told me Asher was coming I felt a huge burst of joy in me. Why? Because this is my chance to make things right.

Leo... Isn't for me.

He's with Hazel, and I shouldn't get too attached. And even if I don't know how Asher feels about me very clearly, we could still make it work, but if he's not interested then fine. I just want us to be cool again.

"What's the time?" Hazel asks as she walks into the room.

Jasmine who was on her phone replied. "2:39pm."

I noticed Hazel frown and fall heavily on the sofa next to me.

"What's up?" I ask her. I've been trying to keep things thesame between us and it seems to be working.

"I'm waiting for something," she replies simply.

"What?" I ask curiously.

"Nothing important," she says dismissively and turns to Jasmine.

"So Jazzy, who are you texting?" Hazel teases.

Jasmine's head shot up and her eyes narrow at Hazel. "Jazzy? Are you serious?"

"Don't you like it? I think it sounds cute," Hazel says with a laugh in her voice.

Does she want to get killed? Jasmine already doesn't like her and she hates nicknames.

"Don't ever call me that again," Jasmine threatens with a serious expression on her face.

Hazel shrugs with a sweet smile on her lips, "fine. But who are you texting tho?"

"No one," Jasmine answers curtly and leaves the room.

I bite my lip in thought. Jasmine has been pretty quiet this week, she seems always busy and doesn't really have time to talk anymore. I've been spending most of my time with Caleb. I hope she's alright.

"So, Bianca. I have a few questions," Hazel's says from beside me.

"Sure, ask away," I reply. I try to inform Hazel and Leo as much as I can. I know what it's like to be with a bunch of people you don't know and have absolutely no idea what's going on in your life.

"My family has been calling me, and they're noticing my absence at school. When do I get to go back home?" She asks.

I felt my expression fall slightly. I felt really bad for Leo and Hazel. We took them away from their friends, jobs, family and school. We practically paused their lives.

"Soon," I tell her.

Hazel rolls her eyes, "I need something more specific."

I let out a sigh, "I really don't know for sure. But I really think after the war."

Hazel frowns, "Bianca, I don't mean to seem annoying or anything but I really want to go home. Sure it might be cool training and hanging out with gang members like yourself or going to some war but I do have a life. Leo has a life too," Hazel tells me.

I swallow at her words, feeling extremely responsible. "I know, and I'm so sorry this had to happen like this, but after the war when you're safe, you'll go straight back home...I promise," I tell her. She nods and smiles back.

What Hazel doesn't know is that she's practically part of the gang now that she knows so much. It's either that or she dies. All she needs is an initiation.

We might let her back into her normal life, but she should know that as long as people know she's with us, she's not as safe as she thinks. At least she has rich parents so that means decent protection.