14

Audrey POV
Sunshine streaks through my bed adjacent window, killing my eyes and eventually waking me up. I can't get out of bed, my head is throbbing leaving me with an empty feeling inside. The kind of feeling you want to cry and scream at, yet I endure this call for pain and get dressed. I check my phone to see what time it is and the number I find is one I was never prepared to see. It's noon! Are you fucking serious! I've never been late for school and even the one time I was late because of some nocturnal activities that I'd rather not discuss, I created an excuse. The room is an absolute mess, wine on the floor and clothes everywhere! Seems like a particular someone did not do the recommended before-trip packing. But before I can call and complain to Brooke I have to put on something to cover my morning meltdown. So I decide on a blush pink makeup tone and finish my face in about 5 min, and let me just say this is a new world record. I wrap the school emblem skirt around my waist making sure a pick a shorter skirt. Over the summer something happened to me if I really think about it a number a things happened. Firstly, I got the good ass I deserved. After going to so many pilates classes I never gained the tightness on my butt that I wanted, or let's not lie, the ass Ethan wanted. But over the summer it just happened. Secondly, I got model legs. The kind of legs Heidi Klum has and shows every single day of her life. And of course I kept this summer bod all year long, who would let go of the look they've dreamt of their whole life, not me at least. So by the time I'm done getting ready and fully dressed it's 12:20 PM. I run out the door, not holding back on speed and getting to Pre Calculus class that I share with Barron. But Barron is not here... so I'll have to face Mrs. Halstrom alone. A unforgiving smile is plastered onto my face as I walk into the large room, the ceiling height taller than any other math class and is filled with nothing but air. Nobody is in the classroom except me and my preppy smile.
"Hey, you got anywhere to be?"
I turn around to see my childhood neighbor, Charlie Lopez. I was the girl next door and if you could guess, he was the boy next door. Living in the upper east side, for a while we lived in opposite buildings on the top floor. My mother was mostly at work for my childhood missing out on all of my birthdays, concerts, and school events. But Mrs. Lopez was always there for me, she was practically a second mom. Thinking back to this, I remember that I barely had a real mom. Learned to make peanut butter and jelly at age four, learned to make grilled cheese at 6 using the stove by myself. And eventually progressing from there and making my own gourmet meals. I went to Charlie's for Christmas, Thanksgiving, and of course Easter when the biggest party was held. As the Lopez's are a Catholic family, they go all out for Easter. I'm talking about everything. Every. Single. Thing. But that also means when that no alcohol was served to underage... that meaning
Charlie didn't get a single sip till he was at my house. Which is probably the reason his parents didn't let him come over all the time or at least when he got older. But there he was, in the doorway holding something similar to a weight loss smoothie.
"Hey Charles" I say with a playful look, and I only do this because he hates me when I call him that.
"Hello Malibu"