8

Brooke POV
I wait for Barron for a few minutes but it was in vain because he doesn't show. I'm kinda annoyed by that because I genuinely want to face this with someone. But I'm probably overreacting. Right?

 I've been here for like three days no one knows who I am and if they do they probably don't care. I work up the confidence to leave my room. As I am walking to math I feel them, the eyes, the judgy, the horrible eyes. I try to ignore it and hold my head up high and it works until I get to math. 

Let me give you a little background, math is the only class I have with just Ethan and we honestly don't know each other that well. I don't know if I'm allowed to talk to him because of Audrey's current situation. I mean Barron doesn't have to worry about these things, he's practically Ethan's personal best friend diplomat. The class started like any other, Mrs. Mckarthy explained the lesson and to me, it was pretty simple. But I took a glance across the room and I saw Elise furrowing her eyebrows with confusion. I could tell she was a dumb one from the beginning. The classroom was a large size, with whiteboards and chalkboards on all the walls and ladders in each corner in case an equation got too tall. At least now I know Elise will never be on one of those ladders. We all knew the school kept the chalkboards so they could say the school has kept authentic roots. When really they just wanted to stay up to preparatory standards. I sat in a desk close by the front, in a space where I wouldn't look alone nor part of any group. And before I knew it, the teacher was explaining the homework for tomorrow.

"You can do the worksheet in groups and pairs, in 5 min I want silence."

I look around the room and see nobody I want to work with, except one person I want to get to know. Ethan. He's already looks accompanied by some lacrosse friends that I've seen Barron hang around. But I'd like that to change, those lacrosse buddies wouldn't mind if I steal Ethan for just one class period, after all that's what happens in every episode of the bachelor. Not that I'm saying this is anything like that, there's no bachelor, and second I have no competition.  

"Hey Ethan, do you want to work together? I don't really know many people in this class and I don't want to work alone."

He turns around and pauses for a second, almost giving me the impression he's going to say no.
"Yeah, sure! Let's go to the library where there are more space and Leeway to talk."

"Ok, but don't we have to ask..."

He points his finger to the door and mouths the word, library, to the teacher. She looks like she's helping a student but eventually, she sees us and gives an okay nod back.

We walk out of the room and down a hallway where I don't know what the hell goes to. 

"So, how's your third day going so far? Any exciting news?"

"First off no exciting news, second, you sound like my mom when you say that."

"Wow, did you just say that to me!" 

"Yes, I did! And I'm not taking it back, you really did sound like my mom!"

He then opens two French doors and I walk into any good student's wonderland

"We have arrived at  the library!" 

He gives me a smile while pointing to a big gathering space with raised ceilings and all the books you can think of stacked high onto the many shelves. Paintings cover every wall, with booths and lounging chairs to complete a study area.

"Let's go find a spot to sit and set out stuff down, Com'on!"

I follow Ethan to a quiet corner and we set our stuff down on one of the tables, the library is almost silent except for the few whispers scattered out around.

"So, aside from me sounding like a mom, how was your day. Be honest."

"If I had to be honest Ethan, it was nothing but average. I had an okay day and I'm fine with that."

" And just so you know, it's not going to get any better. What the hell does average exactly mean?"

"Average is average, for me it means passing through the hallway and being fine. What's your definition of average?"

"When attending this school, your 'average' drops down. What does this school look like to you?
"To me, a respected institute. Whatever you want it to be."
"That's what most people would say and I get where you're coming from. Also a word of advice  , this school is what money looks like. Here it's the only thing talks." We find a table and continue our conversation.

"You seem to think you know everything"

"That's because I do"

"Than answer me this, am I allowed to talk to you?"

"You already are, why stop now?" He says

"First of all, I'm not interested, I just got out of a serious relationship and so did you."

"What are you talking about."

"Let me reintroduce myself my name is Brooke Ballard I am Audrey Easterbrooks new roommate and anyone with half a brain in my position would find out that there was something between you two," I say

"Ok well if you know everything then why did you want to talk to me." Ethan rebuttals
"Well-" he cuts me of

"Because you don't know everything, so how about we play a little game" Ethan offers

"I really don't-" he cuts me off again, I'm starting to not like this boy more and more

"I ask you a question about this "alleged serious relationship" and for everyone you answer I'll answer one about Audrey"

"Fine. Do you ever have any intention of things going anywhere with Elise?" I ask cautiously
"I know you probably want a straight answer, a simple yes or no. And I could I would give it to you, but it's just not that simple."

"That wasn't an answer," I say

"Yes it was"

"No it wasn't, you did what any good politician would do you said what I wanted to hear but didn't give me a straight answer. You added so much spin I didn't know where to look, so why should I answer your question if you won't answer mine?" He sighs
"Brooke I know that you probably think I'm a horrible person, that I played Audrey and now I'm play Elise but it's not like that. Everything I said to her I meant, she was the most important thing in my life and I genuinely loved her I don't think I ever will or ever have felt anything as real as I did when I was with her." He looks into the distance
"Ethan it is not over! She still looks at you like your her entire world. She still wants whatever you two had, because it was special. The only reason she is not telling you that is because you ran away with your childhood crush and she thinks she doesn't have a chance so she's letting you be happy. Ethan I
don't think I've ever seen a more perfect love story than you two, but if you want it you have to get up and stop being a little bitch baby and go after it!"
"Brooke it's truly amazing that she has friends like you but if we were meant to be, we would already be." He walks out of the library leaving me with my thoughts.